 Publishing / 3527
Re: Brickshelf problems?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:35:26 GMT

Hi Kevin,

first I want to thank you for providing the LEGO fan community a central
place to exhibit their creations on unlimited free disk space. I don't want
to miss it.

BUT if you restrict it too hard, people are going to seek for alternatives
and spread all over the net. Let me tell you some things:

I loved the easy way of uploading an image and it was immediately available
to everybody on earth and everybody saw it in the "recent" gallery. And I
loved to see creations by others. I loved to see MOCs I never would have
searched for on the internet via Google.com or other search engines. (Well,
ok, I don't want to see all this Bionicle crap, but that's another thing...)

I could live with some annoying drawbacks, because the community spirit was
more important to me. I missed a feature to add descriptions to a single
picture, e.g.. You can only add a description and keywords to a folder. This
is really bad for organizing. When I upload some pictures of my LEGO
sculpture of (Calvin &) Hobbes, I give the folder the keywords -"Calvin and
Hobbes, Sculpture, MOC". Then I upload a drawing of the real comic character
scanned from a comic book (because I cannot place links in brickshelf) so
others, who don't know it can see if my work is done well. But now whenever
someone searches for "sculpture", he also get's the (off-topic) comic strip.
Of course, I could put each picture into another folder, but this is anoying
and fragments things, that have to be seen in context. But I could live with
this, as long as the rest of Brickshelf was ok.

Now I see, that you deleted a photo that I uploaded.
(http://www.neophilia.de/LEGO/yy_ich_und_mein_4105-Magnum.jpg) It's a
manipulated photo. I took a German ice cream advertising ("Ich & Mein
Magnum" = "Me & My Magnum" -- Magnum is the name of the ice cream) and
replaced the ice cream by a LEGO replica in my Picture Publisher software.
It's all in a folder tagged as a MOC. So why is this deleted without any
comment? Is it because a moderator didn't look at the picture but only at
the thumbnail?

Come on Kevin, I can understand that you are afraid of people uploading
photos inappropriate for children. But don't get paranoid. What's next?
Delete everything that's in an other language than English because it could
be a bomb-building instruction? (Or even worse: rude words! SCNR)

Another point: Why all this mystery-mongering? When the server was taken
offline, thousands of LEGO fans all over the world wondered what happened.
Even in this thread you never told us the reason. Ok, eventually Larry
answered the repeated question -- after two days. Why didn't you place a
short note on www.brickshelf.com? Why don't you write at the same place,
that now uploads are moderated? Why don't you give us the criteria for
removing a file?

Ok, someone uploaded a porno picture. Things happen! There's abuse
everywhere on the internet. Ban this guy and maybe moderate pictures by new
members to avoid abuse of newly created fake accounts. But always remember:
Verifying is good, but trust is better. Don't let thousands of honest
members suffer because of one incident that nearly no-one noticed. This is
not how democracy works! We are living in the western world and are proud of
freedom of will and speech.

Again, I want to say that I love Brickshelf -- the way it was before June
25th. And I hope it will return to this state. I don't want to lose the
center of the LEGO community. I don't want to see it split into hundreds of
private little homepages. I want Brickshelf back.

..oli

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oli