 Publishing / 3547
Re: Brickshelf problems?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:23:59 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Pedro Silva writes:

Huh... rythm, as in "the average pace in which you (reviewer) review files".
I should have used "review" instead of "analysis", but the first does not
exist in my native language with the same meaning. Hence your answer, I
guess :-)

Ah. OK. The answer is it depends.

External factors: How fast does the page load? That's driven by the network
load. I have a cable modem connection to the internet and a 100 Mbps
internal network. During the day the network is loaded because my kids are
surfing and stuff, (that's noise though) and the cable modem connection is
slower since other people are placing a load. Best review time so far has
been about 2 AM when everything is fast

How many files are in the folder? Larger folders are slower.

Internal factors include:

Have I seen this folder before? If I remember seeing it (and I have a pretty
good memory and i hang out on Brickshelf a lot) I do not have to examine
each thumbnail closely, just look for pics I don't recognise.

Do I know the poster? If I know the poster well and trust them I don't have
to examine as closely either.

What is the subject matter? Some subject matter takes more careful review.
If there is text in a pic I have to look at the pic to see what it says. If
there are flesh tones I have to at least glance at the pic instead of just
scanning it.

If everything is going really fast on the network I have achieved folder
review rates in excess of 15 folders/minute when I am walking the folder
tree of someone I already know and really trust, and whose tree I really
know well already because I have seen it recently.

Average is more like 20 secs per folder though.