 Publishing / 3498
Re: Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:04:41 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Jim Schifeling writes:

I just want to know what the worries are and if there is anything I can do
as long as I don't have to put hot dogs in my ears.

I don't have all the details and I'd rather Kevin himself answered if he has
time.

That said apparently someone uploaded porn. Again. (this isn't the first
incident)

Kevin had set up a system for post review so that anyone with moderator
login could mark a file as invisible and mark the ID for action by Kevin.

This incident must have been bad enough that he felt he needed to move to a
prereview scheme from post review.

Several people have suggested some ways to streamline the process and I
think they're good ideas:
- marking certain users as trusted so that their content does not need
moderation (suggested by at least John Barnes if not others as well)
- allowing moderators to visit certain users folders and review them all at
once one after another instead of getting random folders.

I like both those ideas. But maybe Kevin (and Dan??? I get hints that Dan
has some knowledge on what the moderation function does maybe because he
helped with it?? I dunno) is too busy moderating to implement those. His call.

As to what you can do to help, I dunno....

One thing I would ask people to do at least for now would be to NOT shuffle
folders around by deleting and reloading, and NOT add pics to existing
folders, as those both appear to cause the whole folder to get marked as
needing review.

At least for now, till the backlog is chewed through.

If the folder has 100 pics in it and you add one, that means that 101
thumbnails need to be downloaded to the moderator before they can clear it.
That just slows things down.

Again, Kevin is authoritative on this topic and I am not. I'm just
speculating on incomplete knowledge. But you know my view, speculation is
often useful.