 Publishing / 3528
Re: Brickshelf problems?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:42:21 GMT

Briefly addressing a couple of things, Kevin is your authoritative source...

In lugnet.publish, Oliver Kutsche writes:

Now I see, that you deleted a photo that I uploaded.
(http://www.neophilia.de/LEGO/yy_ich_und_mein_4105-Magnum.jpg) It's a
manipulated photo. I took a German ice cream advertising ("Ich & Mein
Magnum" = "Me & My Magnum" -- Magnum is the name of the ice cream) and
replaced the ice cream by a LEGO replica in my Picture Publisher software.
It's all in a folder tagged as a MOC. So why is this deleted without any
comment? Is it because a moderator didn't look at the picture but only at
the thumbnail?

I did not delete this one. But I DID look at it pretty hard, several times
and marked it "unsure" each time. NOT beccause it's porn. An image of a very
pretty girl suggestively and lasciviously manipulating an upright round,
hard object with an expression of joy on her face just before she takes it
into her mouth is *not* porn. At least not these days it's not. It's just
commercial art. :-)

My issue with it was the trademarks and copyrights... Spoofing other
people's ads may not be legal in the US and Kevin has said to watch out for
stuff like that. So every time I looked at it, I ducked. I marked it unsure
and went back to moderating. By the way I walked your entire directory and
cleared everything else in it that hadn't yet been cleared.

If it was deleted, someone else deleted it but I don't know who.

There is no facility to cause a note to go to the submitter at this time. I
suppose that would be a good enhancement... would you prefer that BrickShelf
had been off the air till Kevin got the entire interface perfect?

Another point: Why all this mystery-mongering? When the server was taken
offline, thousands of LEGO fans all over the world wondered what happened.
Even in this thread you never told us the reason. Ok, eventually Larry
answered the repeated question -- after two days. Why didn't you place a
short note on www.brickshelf.com? Why don't you write at the same place,
that now uploads are moderated? Why don't you give us the criteria for
removing a file?

I suspect he's pretty busy. I hesitated to answer at all. I'm scared that I
am talking out my butt based on incomplete knowledge and worse, that I might
say stuff that might jog Kevin's elbow and cause problems. That,
regrettably, has happened because of stuff I said in the past, for which I
apologise.

++Lar (who is glad that the hippocratic oath does not apply)