 Publishing / 3540
Re: Brickshelf problems?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:27:26 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Oliver Kutsche writes:

Come on Kevin, I can understand that you are afraid of people uploading
photos inappropriate for children. But don't get paranoid. What's next?
Delete everything that's in an other language than English because it could
be a bomb-building instruction? (Or even worse: rude words! SCNR)

Well, you have to figure this is Kevin's site and it is up to him to run his
free site as he wishes. I have had some things not ok'ed by the mods that
be. But its ok, I can live with it. The pictures of mine that were deleted
were in the off-topic folders and I was using it to store pictures of hot
whells and star wars figs that I was putting up on ebay. I put them up the
night beofre the auction and planed to take them down when the people who
won them got their winnings and had time to inspect their items. I had it
cleary labeled (and with no keywords) in off-topic. I was under the
impression that off-topic was ok for stuff like this, as it would not show
up on the recent page (and this was before geekshelf came along). But even
with it being in the off-topic folder it was still deleted. I am kinda
surprised, but I am not upset over it. Would I like an answer as to why?
Sure I would - but do I need an answer - no.

Another point: Why all this mystery-mongering? When the server was taken
offline, thousands of LEGO fans all over the world wondered what happened.
Even in this thread you never told us the reason. Ok, eventually Larry
answered the repeated question -- after two days. Why didn't you place a
short note on www.brickshelf.com? Why don't you write at the same place,
that now uploads are moderated? Why don't you give us the criteria for
removing a file?

I agree with this. I would like to have seen a 'why' and 'this is what we
are doing' just to let us know whats going on and what we can expct from BS
in the future. I still do not understand what is going on, like how are all
these new folder being greenlighted before the old stuff? I was also under
the impression that if old stuff was up and nobody complained then it must
have been ok, so why do they need looking at again? And what happens if you
have a folder of say 50 pictures, and 3 or so of them are not 'ok' by these
new standards - do all 50 get the boot or just the 3? And why when you add a
picture into a folder you lose the entire folder for a period of time? Why
not just put that pic into the queue? There are many things I am curious
about that I have not seen it touched upon or given an answer. I think
answers to these questions would be good for the people that use BS.

I am more concerned with the pictures being put into the right folders. I
see (saw) pictures all the time that were in the wrong folder, hopefuly that
will change now. And I would also love to see a 'MISC' folder setup, I know
there were tons of these 'MISC' folders that had random pictures of alot of
things that would not fit as a whole into any one folder other than 'MISC'

Mark P.
http://www.landofbricks.com