 Publishing / 3495
Re: Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:14:30 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Jim Schifeling writes:
Wouldn't it be just easier, quicker and better to have kids get permission
and have a gate? What exactly are we all worried about? Has someone posted a
snuff film or something?
I think this is nonsense but I don't know the how and why of it all yet.

I have to call hi-jinx until someone explains it.

While I have no idea what "call hi-jinx" means (Is it like a spell cast or
something?) I think it's *been* explained already. To my satisfaction,
anyway. Read the entire thread, it's not that big.

It's not clear to me that having "kids get permission" addresses the issue
of people uploading things that are kid inappropriate. Perhaps you could
elaborate on how it does, instead of casting aspersions.

The bottom line is that BrickShelf is a free resource that Kevin has
provided to us all, at no small cost in time and effort, and I support
whatever decisions he makes about how to provide it and what administrative
actions to take. It is, after all, his liability that is on the line, not
yours or mine.

Further, I have been moderating away like mad every chance I get (although I
suspect I'm only putting in a small fraction of the effort that others
have)... To Mark P's point, I have not been taking the time to adjust folder
placement, rightly or wrongly. I have just been approving or disapproving in
order to get as many folders back on line as fast as I could. If there are
particularly egregious examples, drop me (or any moderator) a note, and
perhaps they will be corrected. I will try to do better going forward.

I'm not sure who all the moderators are though, other than myself. Kevin
told me some of them but I forgot. There are a number of them though.