 LEGO Company / 941
Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:14:44 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Mark Rideout wrote:
This is actually a very valid point. We can make our own "marketing" campaign at
any public display. We (as AFOLs) can raise the issue that Lego has created. Be
as negative as you want to be. Tell kids that their old sets no longer are
“compatible” with the new sets.

Wow.  You mean all of a sudden the bricks stopped fitting together?  You mean
all of a sudden the new dark gray can't be used with the old blue, red, and
black?  Do the new gray bricks actually REPEL the old gray colors?

Amazing!  I didn't know that!

... Tell them that they are wasting their money
buying new sets.

Wow!  You mean if they buy a $10 Alpha Team set, it isn't actually worth $10?
Fascinating!

If they buy ANOTHER, $20 World City set, the two together are *ACTUALLY*
*WORTHLESS*, and whatever they buy next year *ACTUALLY* *WILL* *NOT*
*INTERCONNECT* with what they bought this year?

Wow!  Incredible revelations abound!

... Heck even point people to alternatives vs. buying new sets –
show them Bricklink as a way that they can buy old gray and brown colors.

Wow!  You mean the average buyer in the aisles of Toys R Us - say, for example,
Grandma buying a burthday gift for Johnny - would actually respond positively to
the suggestion of going to website, and buying some nice dog-chewed light grey
(that's CLASSIC LIGHT GRAY (c)2004 ANAL-RETENTIVE LEGO FANS, INC.) 1x2s, in lots
of 50 or more, would be a g-r-r-R-REAT alternative to picking up a nice colorful
World City boxed set for Johnny?

... Get
the message out there! We can even do radio spots like "public service
announcements" -- maybe even getting on talk radio/TV and let them hear our
outcry!

NPR is waiting!

In the manner that we can positively affect kid's opinions, we can just as
easily put a negative spin on their opinions.

Of course we don’t have to do this.

You mean you *don't* have to lie to Lego consumers?  Yay!

No wonder most large companies considers most AFOToys opinions to be worthless.
Turns out they actually are!

Kevin