 LEGO Company / 952
Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:42:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Kevin Johnston wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Mark Rideout wrote:
In the manner that we can positively affect kid's opinions, we can just as
easily put a negative spin on their opinions.

Of course we don’t have to do this.

You mean you *don't* have to lie to Lego consumers?  Yay!

No wonder most large companies considers most AFOToys opinions to be worthless.
Turns out they actually are!

I am so with you on this one Kevin. AFOLs with big collections and intentions of
building very special MOCs are a totally different consumer to the average kid
or parent buying Lego.

A lot of the AFOLs here are annoyed about losing the opportunity to buy more
bricks in some useful colours. That's reasonable.

TLC has made some mistakes in the past. Some of them were "called" accurately by
AFOLs (such as Duplo->Explorer) and others were not (Bionicle). And some sets
which were applauded by AFOLs have probably not been a runaway success for TLC.
This is also reasonable.

Its bordering on reasonable to imagine a flawed focus group process to validate
the new colors.

But its not reasonable to assume that the needs, wants and tastes of a kid or
parent are anything like that of an AFOL.

Kids don't have as many bricks in their collection, so less they have less
"investment" in the old colors.
Kids aren't planning on artistic or accurate MOCs like AFOLs.
Kids may actually like the new brighter colours better.