 Events / BrickFest / 2262
Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:11:43 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Gregory Muri wrote:
   snipped
   Had I beed at BF PDX, I would have wanted to ask the following questions:

1. How many staffers lost or will will lose their jobs as a result of this color chage fiasco??

I would be willing to bet not a single one. The ones that will lose their jobs are the line workers. The first to go when a company runs into a financial downturn.

I know if I were KKK, I would discharge the entire marketing team, the research team, and any outside firms or contractors involved with the color change fiasco. I would proabably also fire those who authorized this monstrous mistake and the engineers who developed the horrible new colors.

Could not agree with you more!

   2. How low are first-quarter sales in 2004 worldwide and how much is attributed to the color change disaster?? What is the expected finacial loss as a result of the color change??

Lego is a company that lacks any shred of the forsight it takes to see stuff like this. They will blindly proceed and then be astonished that there was still a decline. They brought back Galidor, that speaks for itself.

I know for myself, I spent close to 20K on Lego last year. This may not be a lot by some AFOL standards, but it sure seems stupid to me that this is business Lego is willing to throw away without even thinking twice. My spending this year will be lucky to hit one tenth of that. What I do buy will not be new products but rather older stuff that I never had or want to have again.

3. Has anyone at Lego heard of Coca-Cola?? They tried to change their formula, lost huge amounts of money, and SWITCHED BACK to the original formula. It seems any lesson taught there has not been learned by anyone at TLC.

Coke must not be available in Billund. :)

   4. Why has this color change NOT beem marketed?? IF it is such a good thing, such as “New and Improved Colors” then why is it not presented as such??

This lack of marketing and communication about a product change means to me, personally, that Lego is trying to sneak it in the back door. Either that, or their marketing experts and consultants were asleep during Marketing 101.

I think this is exactly why the explanation being offered is so hard to swallow. It takes a phenomonal level of ignorance to handle something this big in such a manner. It is clear to me that KKK must put an aweful lot of faith in a group of completely incompetant engineers in the design lab.

   5. How are AFOLS who put on public events suppoed to answer or comment on the color changes??

I know I only have NEGATIVE things to say about it, and as such may have trouble in future being diplomatic about it. In a big way, I don’t even want to do public events with Lego anymore because I don’t want to be put in that situation. If I cannot say anything good, perhaps I should not say anything at all, which means I stay home!

You hit the nail on the head here Kevin, might as well stay home. I could not in any way support Lego on this particular issue.

Greg

I completely agree. I don’t think anyone at LEGO will lose their job for this. I also don’t think “that Lego was trying to sneak the color change in the back door”. This statement implies that they actually thought the color change was relevant to someone.

I DON’T THINK WE AFOLS ARE EVEN ON THEIR RADAR.

LEGO blissfully made the color change, thinking they were IMPROVING the colors. The company as whole is so totally unaware/unconcerned about us that it didn’t even cross their minds that people might be upset.

I commend Jake on his great efforts to educate TLG about AFOLs. But as he himself has said many times, it’s hard to get the battleship to turn. In the corporate giant’s mind, we are only 5% and we will always only be 5%. Even if TLG does consider us in future decisions, what’s the best we can hope for? 5% that’s what. 5% of any consideration will go to AFOL interests; in other words, TLG’s decision making process will, at its core, be exactly like it is now. The best we can hope for is more polite damage control, i.e. maybe the company will have enough consideration/respect for us to tell us in advance about the new improved change in the brick dimensions or the new improved stud shape/separation or the discontinuation of ...

“Everybody goes home happy!”

I wish. :(

-WWWally