 LEGO Company / 936
Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:57:47 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Gregory Muri wrote:
   That is just it Kevin, nobody at Lego got any sense. They just responded to the one and only thing that corporate robots instantly respond to. The loss of money, especially on the scale that Lego did last year, is a powerful thing. It will likely take a much bigger loss than 2003 for them to change back this color fiasco.

Greg

See... I disagree with you on this point. The poor sales of 2004 will have nothing to do with color change. We, the AFOLs may cease buying because of this fact, but that is a drop in the bucket of problems, a mere 5% loss in a world of hurt for TLG.

To h@#$ with the color change, let’s say it never happened. OK, now look at the product lines for what they are. They’re action figures. There is no building or creativity.

The New Castle (Big Figs): Galidor Redux. (OK, so maybe not as bad as Galidor, but still a far cry from LEGO’s core values)

The New Castle (Minifig): Can You Say Playing Our Children For Imbeciles?

Make & Create - Creator: Closest to Core Value We Have

Make & Create - Designer: Nothing But Specialized Bits and Bobs (To me, these sets are equivalent to selling an older bucket with nothing but Antennae and Radar Dishes; wonderful for the collector, wonderful for flashy factor, horrid for creativity without basic bricks to augment)

Make & Create - Technical Wonders: A Beast Slain (This is the carcass of what LEGO Technic used to be. Not a studded beam in sight, not a Technic trademark look at all.)

Racers: The This-Theme-Should-Have-Been-Killed-Long-Ago Theme (Again, great for a collector adding to a collection, horrid for a child just starting one. I also have a big question about the K’nex construction of the RC Cars.)

Alpha Team - Arctic: The Award Winner for Closest to LEGO Core Values (The transformations really show what LEGO is about: Transience and Change)

Spiderman: Dumbing Down The License and Tossing Bones (compare the lamppost and hydrant in 4853 with last year’s models. Complexity wise, they are down the tubes. Add to this the 4+ sets based on a movie rated PG-13 and a decidedly realistically violent comic. “Train Rescue” is a bone to say that Train is still alive in Town, other than Potter.)

Bionicle: Et Tu, Technic. (Bionicle, IMHO, was the rifle blast that killed traditional Technic, and the new sets are just the final nails in the coffins.

Color Change Aside, TLG can’t blame this years losses on 5% of the market. When they lose this next year, the blood isn’t on the Color R&D Workers’ hands, but rather the Set Designers and Management who have killed the brand’s creativity by failing to CHALLENGE today’s children, instead, feeding them cookie cutter fads and nothing else.

The color revert will never occur. There are far bigger problems at hand.

-John Rudy