 Events / BrickFest / 2345
Re: general session starting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:20:17 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
<upset sarcasm /on>
In his comic, I hope Greg makes sure to include his total lack of respect for
those of us who feel strongly about the color change.
<upset sarcasm /off>

In his posts in the FBTB forums, he not only showed a lack of respect, but went
out of his way to {mock} specific people for their opinions.

So it's okay for fans to mock Lego's ideas (focus groups! brighter colours!),
but not okay to mock the mockers (Boo hoo!) ?

Greg Hyland works for TLC, at least part of the time. It's generally not good
business practice to mock the people that pay your salary. I know we complain
that TLC ignores us AFOLs, but having TLC make fun of us isn't an improvement.

What is your problem, anyway? Why does it offend you that some people are
genuinely upset by the color change? What do you get out of attacking them for
expressing their feelings?

Marc Nelson Jr.

I debated with myself about posting this, but I feel the community should know
the character/humor of one of our (apparent) mouthpieces.

Should know? *Must* know!. No, they *need* to know! Better yet they have a
*right* to know!

Greg has done more for the community than I probably ever will, but I was
thoroughly disappointed in him and his trivializing attitude.  As a now
semi-official "employee" of LEGO, I thought he would know better.  I am not
trying to defame him; I hope he takes this as constructive critism.

Of course not! You're just pointing out that he has a total lack of respect for
people who feel strongly about the colour change, has mocked people for their
ideas and that he has a trivialising attitude...

How could *anyone* take that as *anything* but constructive criticism?

Richie Dulin

As someone who has met with Greg on more than one occasion,
that some of this is crazy.  I don't really care with what Greg does on
his on-line posts and stuff, but as someone who does some great stuff and
is a very cool guy in person....

... I find it very insulting that you would try to drag him into the whole
color issue.

Just posting my opinion on this matter.

Thanks, Ben M.

I have also talked to Greg in person (at last year's Brickfest), and he seemed
like a swell guy. He was very humble about his outstanding artwork, and was kind
of amused when I suggested that he was undercharging for it. But I find his
comments about people who are upset about the color change to be insensitive.

The second part of my post was a response to the poster, and not directed at
Greg Hyland.

Marc Nelson Jr.