 Events / BrickFest / 2365
Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:38:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   3. Has anyone at Lego heard of Coca-Cola?? They tried to change their formula, lost huge amounts of money, and SWITCHED BACK to the original formula. It seems any lesson taught there has not been learned by anyone at TLC.

Coke must not be available in Billund. :)

Funny thing about Coke, Denmark, and LEGO. When they flew us over (business class) on KLM in 1992 from NY to Copenhagen, they served Coke and LEGO on board. But for the short hop from Copenhagen to Billund, the local airline served the national brand “Jolly Cola”, for which they charged by the bottle! The whole time we were at LEGOLand, it was Jolly Cola or nothing -- except for the party on the final night when they imported Coke and hip hop. When we returned to Copenhagen and picked up our rental car for a week of tooling around Europe, the first place we visited was a Danish McDonald’s -- to have a Coke (Jolly Cola was not a winner).

When we went back in 2001, we noticed that Jolly Cola had disappeared from the park and had been replaced everywhere by Coke.

Personally, I survived the US Coca Cola reformulation debacle by having enough Coke stashed in cans to provide 1 a day during the entire shortage. What I found particulary intolerable was not being able to have a Coke with a hotdog during a baseball game. Alas, things soon got even worse despite the return of Classic Coke: The Angels were bought by Disney and Disney soon concluded a 10 year deal to sell only Pepsi at all their parks and sports venues, which included Anaheim Stadium. Grrrhh. The moral of the story: Be happy with the new grays, lest TLC get bought up by Megablocks who convert all LEGO colors to new shades that vary with the season of the year!!!

-Ted