 LEGO Company / 933
Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:02:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Mark Rideout wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Adrian Egli wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Kevin Salm wrote:

Maybe public events are what we need to do most.

As you said, LEGO is doing a rather poor job getting word out to the public of
this color change.  I have told many of my cousin's kids if they buy a new set
with grey bricks it might not match what they have.

Events give us AFOLs who do these shows the opportunity to tell the public of
this screw up.  Right now, it appears only those who are on LUGNET and similar
sites are making our opinions expressed to LEGO.  But as for that kid looking at
the sets in a Target, TRU, wherever, he has no clue of this color change.  At
events or stores we can tell those kids (or better yet their parents!) what they
will get if they buy that new set.

Someone has to educate the consumer and if it's not LEGO or us, who will it be??

Adr.

This is actually a very valid point. We can make our own "marketing" campaign
at any public display. We (as AFOLs) can raise the issue that Lego has
created. Be as negative as you want to be.

~~snip~~

It is NOT my intention or goal to be negative.  TLC does NOT need my help to
ruin their brand image.  They have proven they can do it all by themselves.

As evidence, TLC threw out a perfectly good 25-year old trademark when they
stopped using the name DUPLO for their preschool products.  The name Explore, as
someone else pointed on on Lugnet several weeks ago, sounds like a program  on
your computer, not a building toy by Lego.  I will never understand the
marketing 'genius' behind that ill-fated decision.  Someone should be taken out
back and shot to the death for that one, IMO.

__Kevin Salm__

PS.  I am happy to report that the latest batch of packaging for Explore
products is now dual-branded.  The Duplo name and logo have proudly returned.
Finally, someone at TLC got some sense!