 Events / BrickFest / 2314
Re: general session starting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:28:02 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Mark Jordan wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Mark Herzberg wrote:

I can see how the new colours may be more appealing, but I don't buy that as a
valid excuse and I am sick of reading it here. As if this would ever happen:

Mom: "Hey son, do you like this new LEGO Star Wars set?"
Son: "No, the tone of the light and dark greys is not vivid enough for me, it
lacks appeal. I want that Belville set with bright and appealing colours."

Give me a break.

Accusing someone of lying is serious. TLC and the people of Lego Direct do not
have a history of lying. Everything I have seen in the last 2 years shows that
Brad and Jake to be honest and straightforward. When they can't answer a
question, they say why, or they come back later with an answer. Why would they
start lying now?

Where did he accuse Jake of lying? The gist I got from the post was that if that
indeed was the reason for the change, then it was a stupid one and the people in
the design lab need a boot up the clacker.

I do know that from the perspective of my 5yo son (and indeed my own), the
brightness or otherwise of the colours is a long way secondary to the experience
of simply building stuff. The colours are a minor selling point really, and as
such I wonder how much more sales they expect to generate from this change. I
suspect it will be negligible if any, which leads me to conclude that it is an
exercise in futility.

If it was a question of cost or whatever, then I could almost understand it, but
since Jake has pointedly denied that I can only conclude that the design lab has
a screwed up perspective on what children's priorities are when they choose Lego
sets off the shelves.

You want kids to buy sets, Lego? Then make sets that they want to buy. They
don't care what colour they are if the set is a cool design.

Allister