 Events / BrickFest / 2245
Re: general session starting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:24:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Let’s recap some of the biggest events in 2003:
[...a lot of positive things...]
• We lost some of the primary building colours.

2003 also saw a huge leap in the way that the LEGO Company approaches and thinks
about community.
A "leap off the cliff", in some regards.

A great example of what I’m talking about is the color change. The honest answer
on why the color change was made was the same thing I first posted on LUGNET:
the design lab felt that the new colors were less “dirty” and more appealing to
kids. It wasn’t a money issue, it was a quality issue, or at least the design
lab’s vision of quality. There isn’t anything I’m hiding, it wasn’t a cost
issue, and it wasn’t anything to do with being able to get the ABS.
Regardless of how honest your answer (and the whole affair) was, it was
communicated in a way that left way more questions than answers. Taking
into account how deep into the core of the very idea of LEGO this change
strikes, a "some kids liked the new colour better than the old one"
sounded very, very much like a "these are not my drugs, officer" kind of
excuse.

I dont't blame you for the change, and I don't blame you for not warning
early (you propably did not know before you were told about the change
by AFOLs/customers). But from the moment the issue reached you, you
should have communicated it better (besides fighting with claws and
teeth against the very idea).

It’s no secret that 2003 was a rough year. But I have great faith in the
direction for 2004. You’ve heard that we’re changing Explore back to the DUPLO
name, and are going to fight to regain lost ground. The new products this year
are amazing – the Hagrid’s Hut set, one I just built a few nights ago, is jaw
dropping cool. The Star Wars line is very nice this year.  And even though I
can’t announce it, there may be a  product in the pipeline that will make you
scream.
Yeah. like in "give us our colours back!". I will not invest
(significant) money into new sets this year, but will increase purchases
of old sets and bricks instead. Luckily, the horrible misdesign of the
new castle sets eases my losses.

As you hear this week, we are working closely together to help support the
LEGOFan.net project this year. As you may have read, this site is meant to help
provide, among other things, a clear picture of the entire LEGO fan landscape,
both online and offline. This should help new fans become better acclimated and
much faster at that.
This "LEGOFan.net" is still nothing but a newsgroup-invading thread.

So to conclude, 2003 was an amazing community year, but I truly believe 2004 is
going to put it to shame!
Like in "Look, more colours got the boot!" and "The 2x4 is gone for
good!"? Or more like "Our new super product: a BobTheBuilder Mecha
following the Bionicle and Knights Kingdom line".

Sorry for sounding pessimistic, but all Jake could do was to confirm my
worst fears.

sad, Christian