 LEGO Company / 939
Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:18:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego, John M. Rudy wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Gregory Muri wrote:
   That is just it Kevin, nobody at Lego got any sense. They just responded to the one and only thing that corporate robots instantly respond to. The loss of money, especially on the scale that Lego did last year, is a powerful thing. It will likely take a much bigger loss than 2003 for them to change back this color fiasco.

Greg

See... I disagree with you on this point. The poor sales of 2004 will have nothing to do with color change. We, the AFOLs may cease buying because of this fact, but that is a drop in the bucket of problems, a mere 5% loss in a world of hurt for TLG.

a few idle remarks from the peanut gallery

Many (most ?) AFOLs buy at clearance. Because certain AFOLs stop buying at clearance, doesn’t mean that the stuff will just sit there and go unsold forever. Some clearanced stuff moves back up the food chain to EB, some to BL, and some to places like flea markets. That one destination decides to boycott, will have little or no effect on the parent 2-years hence trying to find that discontinued (and needed) set which WM, KM, TRU, Target (et al) have dumped to clearance. They will buy *that* set because the kid wants it. The stuff will still most likely percolate thru the food chain, just that AFOLs won’t be taking so much from the ‘clearance’ buffet. (and we are 6-12-18 months from when the new colors actually make it to clearance.)

   To h@#$ with the color change, let’s say it never happened. OK, now look at the product lines for what they are. They’re action figures. There is no building or creativity.

The New Castle (Big Figs): Galidor Redux. (OK, so maybe not as bad as Galidor, but still a far cry from LEGO’s core values)

The New Castle (Minifig): Can You Say Playing Our Children For Imbeciles?

I still prefer the term ‘Castleonicle’. Bionicle has won the battle for hearts of minds of many of the primary target audience, now TLC is trying to work the same magic with Castle. It may be heresy to some, but it may be a smart move to others.

Ray