 LEGO Company / 938
Re: LEGOFan.net [...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:13:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Steve Runnels wrote:
[...]

Imagine if you will, you have a homepage that you can configure, however you
want, that can give you the latest threads FROM Lugnet, FBTB, Classic Castle,
etc. Imagine it shows you the latest MOCs from your favorite builders and/or
catagories. Imagine it also shows you the latest pics for new sets. Imagine it
would tell you when something on your BrickLink wishlist appears. Imagine just
how limitless this could be if it actually happens! And that's just the
homepage...

A user-configurable dynamic newspage. yeah, that'd be super-neat.

Such a thing is why I'd never want to work on a printed magazine for LUGs.
Scripts and the web can produce a publication that's way more efficient,
up-to-the-minute, adaptable to user needs, and provides unlimited distribution.
It also has potential to be auto-formatted into .pdf documents for download and
printing.

On a small scale, just about anyone could probably write a local webpage with
some frames that refresh content you want. I wonder... how close one could come
to the above? I once made for myself a 'toolbar' of sorts that brings me into
LUGNET varioius ways. It's like, my own interface. ...FWIW, I can post that
code. Interested members could swap their number in to try it.

But, to make what you describe above happen for real (at least, as I see it)
would be difficult, as you said. It'd call for: a bunch of clean'n'pretty
stylesheets to keep the UI experience smooth (until you left the main site), a
big effort of initial script writing and setup, strict formatting standards for
participating sources to adhere to, and the steady work of community groups to
ensure periodic injection of fresh content. [1] Ideally, the main delivery site
would have resources including a photo/art director, a programmer, and a copy
editor available to all participating groups. A single head co-ordinator would
need to oversee the project, likely full-time. And a few volunteers wouldn't
hurt - to process permissions, answer questions, etc.

I outlined all this on paper with Todd a long time ago. There was such a wealth
of material, just within LUGNET, that with some help from curators (which didn't
exist then), we had a good-looking "front-page of a newspaper" kinda thing. It
sounded great, it was doable, but came down to one snag. money.  There was
simply no way to run it for free. (Unfortunately, time equals money and we were
in debt and starving already.) Charging a subscription fee was right out, and I
knew that introducing advertisers would bring all the same sticky issues
(accidental pun) you'd get with any print-publication, not to mention, ads would
turn-off the readers. Oh, and The LEGO Company would not be a supporter. (tried
that.)

In addition to money, a new concern I'd see is  the "Fantasy Factor." The actual
likelihood of support staff all being dependable, on good terms, prepared to
take direction, and happy to work for free,  is -low-. People in the community
are really passionate about the hobby. When a person goes to work for their
fondest of interests, funny things can happen. it's understandable, really. but
still, a fact.

Anyway, I'll hush now, 'cause I guess all I wanted to say was,
  "I hear ya."
  "almost been there." and,
  "sure wish I could do that!"
which has probably already been said by many other folks in this thread.

Like I said however, it will take a lot of work. And I'm not sure that it
really would ever happen, but it's nice to dream.

--SteveR

Indeed! a good dream. I'm sure it'll happen in time, it's just a matter of when,
and how commercial it'll end up being.

-Suz

[1] I had wondered if visitors would be more likely to come to an "online
magazine" versus setting up a continuous flow of feeds. Like, if all content was
updated on a schedule, say weekly, would that be more attractive? I guess it'd
just draw slightly different people.. it'd be more difficult to accomplish (like
making CLSotW hit the same weekday, only, times six or something), but you could
get the stream-version 'for free'  that the more experienced users would prefer.