 General / 45545
Re: LEGOFan.net [...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:27:54 GMT

Suz <suz@baseplate.com> wrote:
strict formatting standards for participating sources to adhere to, and

Hmmm. This part could be largely handled via existing standards -- each
site could spit out an RDF feed. RDF isn't perfect, but I think it'd do.

And a particularly cool thing about sites doing this is that one could use
any of the zillions of existing RDF aggregators to display the info.

A little dredging shows that Ben Jackson mentioned this a few years
ago.... <http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=7127>

[1] I had wondered if visitors would be more likely to come to an
"online magazine" versus setting up a continuous flow of feeds. Like, if
all content was updated on a schedule, say weekly, would that be more
attractive? I guess it'd just draw slightly different people.. it'd be
more difficult to accomplish (like making CLSotW hit the same weekday,
only, times six or something), but you could get the stream-version 'for
free' that the more experienced users would prefer.

I think the weekly update thing works great *if* you have someone really
good working full time to summarize and highlight the information. It's a
very hard problem to solve automatically, and while it might be possible
with a distributed many-eyes system (oh dear; I'm talking in buzzwords)
even that would be a lot of work. It comes back to the part of what you
said which I snipped out above: time and money vs. starving.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>