 CAD / 17011
  The future of LDraw?

There is a discussion in the Lugnet group at facebook on the fact that people leave Lugnet.com in favour for other, often theme specialized sites. Questions like "Why is it so and what can be done to get people back to Lugnet?" are discussed. Some (...) (14 years ago, 14-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) There are plenty of people still using LDraw and plenty of newcomers to it.In some ways I think it's a victim of its own success. The software is well developed and easy to use and the parts library is vast and easy to install. As such people (...) (14 years ago, 14-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Times changes and also the behaviour of the people. The internet changes much quicker. But I think the most important item is that LUTNET and also LDraw.org does not make adverticements. So how should be people find us. The new possibilities (...) (14 years ago, 14-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

--snip-- (...) --snip-- (...) Honestly I don't think LDD is so much of a competitor for many people. Its limited parts pallette keeps it quite restrictive. LDraw will always be the high end tool for LEGO CAD due to its versatility and when people (...) (14 years ago, 14-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

--snip-- (...) I felt you were preaching to the choir here so decided to broaden the questions and broaden the audience. Hopefully this will give us a bit of an idea of how the broader community deals with LDraw. (URL) (14 years ago, 14-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

LDraw/LCad etc. are not nearly as dead as you think they are! The pioneering days are long gone, and the package of tools has entered the world of "mainstream software". People simply trust everything to work, and will only make themselves known (...) (14 years ago, 14-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) (URL) This article> gives some answers to this question. (...) I think there are still as much activity on the subject as before. The activity is simply divided but spread. For instance, I'm amazed about the recent work by Sergio Reano (SR3D) (...) (14 years ago, 14-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) 1) Have you ever heard of LDraw? And if you have do you know what it is? Have you ever considered using it but decided against it? If so why? Did you know the parts are all designed by volunteers? Yes, I have heard of L-Draw and use it quite a (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I'm with you on this Tore. I sure I've said this before but I despise the flat posting style of forums like phpBB and I like threaded discussions. Threads allow the conversation to wander to 2 or more different but related discussions while (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Out of the thirty odd responses I've got so far to my questions on TBB there hasn't been one mentioning ease of discussion so I'll hazard a guess that it's not a big deal. Tim (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

My turn to respond: IMHO LDraw is certainly not dead. In fact here in the Netherlands it’s is alive and kicking. With me presenting it to the public at LEGOWORLD in Zwolle every October I think there are many users who have joined since 2002 when I (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Hm, not really. But I see definitely the potential in doing it. Once I start dismantling my old models (which, given the place and budget issues, is only a matter of time), I will probably do this as well. (...) Yes to all of the above! The (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) LDRAW MUST NOT DIE Ldraw user since 1999 (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) As fas as I understand young people, it might have something to do with a high proportion of text matched with a low proportion of visuals. It seems that new generations prefer it to be very much the other way round. I've looked at some sites (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I hadn't really thought about the pool of volunteers drying out but you are right that it is. Even the 'new' names in key roles have been involved for many years now. And for many years we have not needed an election for the SteerCo as only 5 (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Yes, maybe it is a generation issue. I followed the link (URL) and I didn't like what I saw. I mean, most of the replies were in deed positive and encouraging, but the layout of the site... No tree structure but just a linear thread. Scroll, (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Part of the problem is that there are not as many presentations being given and general overall evangelizing being done at fan conventions. This is partly due to the fact that the de facto spokesman of the organization, Tim Courtney, has been (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

--snip-- (...) That structure attracted 6.2 thousand comments last year out of 8.4 million page views. You may not like it (I prefer threading too) but it's here to stay. And between TBB and flickr (same structure) there are already over 40 comments (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I've been distributing my presentation by email, whenever I get someone asking about my MOCs: (URL) been meaning to get it posted to the ILTCO database of presentations, but ILTCO already has one foot in the grave. Scott W. (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) You should add it to the ILTCO library. I can assure you that it's still used. Tim (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I think TBB and flickR have an easier entry. LUGNET is a bit scary to sign up to, and is certainly a pain in the but to remember your username (member #) and password (is this even changeable). Actually, I remember it being a lot scary to (...) (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) <snip> (...) That's an absolutely fantastic presentation! Even a grumpy old man like me has nothing to complain about it. /Tore (14 years ago, 15-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) (April 9-11, 2010 in Fremont, California - see bricksbythebay.com) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Thanks for the presentation Scott. I'd love to also see yours, Orion. I have been in charge of presentations at the last two national AFOL events in Spain (HispaBrick) and will be for the next one. I prepared a short and basic presentation (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I'll accept two round-trip tickets and a nice hotel...just kidding. I'd love to see it, but that one is a bit far for me to go this time. I'll be at BrickWorld again this year, but even that is an 11 hour drive. Scott W. (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) It's been so long since I looked at it, I forgot about the copyright of the images. I'll need to get some OKs first and give credit where credit is due. That semi-truck is 99% Pierre Normandin's design. There are also some personal thoughts (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) That's the sort of discussion forum layout that I've seen dominate every site I use today, except for Lugnet. Lugnet surely went the hierarchical direction because the best Newsgroup readers supported hierarchical views. Like it or not, that's (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Here's the last version I gave: (URL) (19.3MB) It's been a year since I gave it so it may be outdated. -Orion (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I very strongly second this. I've been lurking here for years now, but almost never post, and never get involved, because of how awkward, old & user-unfriendly LUGNET is. I think LUGNET is a huge deterrent to any potential LDraw newcomers & (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I do realize the fact that LUGNET is a huge deterrent, but I just can't get into my head why. Yes, I recall it was a pain to join LUGNET when I moved from the mailing list that preceeded LUGNET. But I only had to do it "once in my lifetime", (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Heh, don't apologize - it's great to hear from LUGNET users why they like this place! My view is about 100% opposite from yours ;) Yes, you need a flickr account, but you need to join here too, which we agree is painful. When you joined (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Yeah, you're probably right. :) I don't even notice that I enter "to" here in the Name and E-mail fields (the rest of my name and e-mail is auto-filled by IE) and check that "I have carefully read... blah, blah" checkbox; that has become a (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) The bottom line is that LUGNET needs to change how it handles users. At a minimum the authentication emails have got to go. I'm a member and I use the web interface so I can just log in and skip most of the annoying things (e.g. entering (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Timely info! I'm in the middle of filling out LUGNET's (absurdly long) Member sign-up page, hoping to streamline posting... but that's useless & dead? I was going to suggest LUGNET make memberships free, push the donation requests more, change (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I'm reading LUGNET through a newsreader - Outlook Express - which is the same as my email program. I donwload all new posts in a batch (much, much, MUCH, faster than loading web pages) and then I can read the posts at my leisure, I don't even (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I am very tempted to change the subject line of this branch of the discussion tree into "The future of LUGNET?". I know, it was mostly my "fault" the this thread changed subjects. But to me, it's the strength of the tree structure. Then anyone (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Lego City Police Car - 7236

Hi again! I've done some more Lego modelling! This time I'm playing with the Lego City Police Car. I've created some renders using POV-Ray and I've put the LDR/MLCAD files and various other 3D formats of the model on my website. See the following (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I'd see LDraw getting a forum system with most aspects of the bulletin board system like user accounts instead of emails *but* having a threaded layout like here on LUGNET. I myself do not know anybody who uses LDraw or even LEGO for that (...) (14 years ago, 16-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Err, how am I supposed to remember which "dozens of threads" I visited yesterday? Most "forum" software seems pretty aggressive about not showing visited/unvisited links. I don't spend a lot of time in forums, but the only useful one I've (...) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Not sure which forums you visit but they must be unusually obtuse. Just about everywhere I visit tells you which threads have new posts since you last visited and an unread topics page. --snip-- (...) Tim (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego City Police Car - 7236

(...) There is no single list, but there are some links here: (URL) Eric Albrecht's Technicopedia has Ldraw files for many Technic sets: (URL) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Really? I kinda like to browse Eurobricks. Lots going on there, with plenty of great pictures. Once I tried to help someone with lsynth and then (I'm embarassed to say) I couldn't find my way back to that topic the next day. Even logged in I (...) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Sorry, but I'm a little slow. Was it at LUGNET or Eurobricks you couldn't find your way back to that topic? /Tore (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I toyed with this a few years back: (URL) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I tend to agree with you... Anyway it may be OK to post images (though I don't like the way we are supposed to browse them), but it's definitely not a place for serious discussion, as comments are not searchable. Philo (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I have trouble navigating Eurobricks because it requires so much scrolling and clicking on <next> links to find things. I mean, how do you find your way to a particular post when there are 318 *pages* and you have to scroll through them all to (...) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Maybe you're missing the 'login' part? When you're logged in you get a link "View new posts" on top right under the banner. You can also (when logged in) select the "Options" menu in the upper right (although a bit lower than the other link) (...) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Group discussion comments are very searchable ((URL) Image comments aren't which I agree can be frustrating. And flickr is very good at telling you where there is activity. Which isn't to say it's a good place to discuss LDraw. It is not. The (...) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Also threads with recent discssion are marked visually as being such and there's an Active Topics list available next to View New Posts. I'm going to be a little stirring here and suggest that possibly many of the same people demanding that (...) (14 years ago, 17-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) This sounds promising. Doesn't seem very actively developed anymore, but then it's used here: (URL) you're interested, I've got some webspace where I can set up a test phorum, give you full access to try out & play with. I'm also proficient in (...) (14 years ago, 18-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Thanks for the offer Remi. I have my own personal webspace that I also use to test out LDraw.org ideas and a server running locally on my laptop so I can develop without an internet connection. -Orion (14 years ago, 18-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego City Police Car - 7236

(...) Maybe you are just looking for mpd files for official files? Then please try (URL) There are more than 900 mpd files for download from official sets. I did not remember how good they are (maybe missing parts at the time I build). cu mikeheide (14 years ago, 18-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) <much goodness of newsreaders deleted to save space> While true, most newer Internet users don't have a clue what a Newsreader is. That's because Newsreaders are mostly used by Usenet users and Usenet (at least the groups I read) is dying. In (...) (14 years ago, 18-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) You must have done something to make it that hard for you to use Lugnet. I just click "Reply", write my response, click "Preview" and "Post". Everything else is already filled out. Play well, Jacob (14 years ago, 19-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Hmmm, did you click "Reply" so quickly that you missed the very next sentence in the previous post where it said, "I think you've just been here too long"? Like many of us, you've been here forever. So perhaps you don't realize that it's (...) (14 years ago, 19-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

--snip-- (...) I must admit that I hadn't realised it was so hard to post now. That, IMO, means we need somewhere new to discuss LDraw. If new people can't easily post in discussions then we are killing fresh discussion and that is a very bad move. (...) (14 years ago, 19-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

For whatever reason, I've never made the shift to MLCad or other platforms, and I've been served very well James Jessiman's foundation programs. Lars Hassing's L3Lab and Kevin Klague's LPub have been invaluable as well, but everything I do that's (...) (14 years ago, 19-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) LEdit's pretty much outdated these days. It doesn't support the LDConfig colours, nor can it edit MPD:s and the LSC is not taking it too seriously when making choices. (at least I'm not..) (...) I agree here partially. I too think that some (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) That's 100% fair, and I wouldn't expect them to base any policy decisions on a platform that hasn't changed in 13+ years. The number of people who still use it as their primary interface can probably be counted on one hand. The main reason (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Is it really...??? Anyway, the average LDraw user will never see the Author line or the History ones! I definitely don't subscribe to the all legalese line we see today (in LDraw or in real life!). To me, it's just something that must be done. (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

--snip-- (...) Please excuse ne while I become really blunt ;) That information isn't there for the end users. It's there for the people volunteering their time to make the parts. As Philo said it's very easy to add automatically with DATHeader and (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Non-issues to you, perhaps. To an outsider, they are symptomatic of a big exercise in narcissism. Decades ago, when I was without a tv but hoping to see the "Spock" episode of ST:TNG, a friend and I went to Penn State's Star Trek club. They (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I more meant that it de-motivates me from remaking parts if I don't get the proper credit for them! I'm a human being - I want credit for what I do. But maybe "de-motivating" is the bad word for it. Maybe "annoying" is better there. But I just (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Possibly so but I'm of the opinion that those that make and share the parts are entitled to some narcissism. And I speak having done minimal part authoring in quite some time (due to laziness) so it's not self-interest at work. --snip-- Your (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) It is an issue IMO. Probably a small one compared to other ones, but it's the sum of real or subjective obstacles that makes me worried about recruiting new LDraw authors. What I believe is the biggest issue is nobody's fault: All the easy, (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Well, I singled out the header-code not as the problem in itself but as symptomatic of a shift that's taken place over a period of years. I don't know how else to say it without sounding petty, and I'm absolutely not singling out any one (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote: ***snip*** I'd like to mention at this point that Tore Eriksson is personally responsible for my first forays into apocryphal parts-authoring. I found his small handful of Tyco-based half-height elements, and I (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Or perhaps LUGNET just needs some changes... identify the problem areas and fix them. (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Holy moley! Do you still exist?!? (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I think you are completely right here! I have done some starts in part authoring, but given up on 'the real thing' as there are no easy parts left to do. Of course this makes it much harder for a budding part author. The quality which is (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) For the Non-CA parts it should be clear that for legal reasons there has to be another author mentioned. That's why it is handled there in this way. For normal parts it is much more difficult. From what point on it is made from the scratch? - (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Rumors of my disassembly have been greatly exaggerated. (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.fun)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Hi Dave, Thanks for your thoughtful input. I might be one of the causes of the bureaucracy you are referring to (in follow on posts). When I started to write LDraw tools back in late 1999, I turned to lugnet's LDraw forum to ask for guidance. (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  (Re)activating Lugnet? (Was: The future of LDraw?)

(...) I must admit that I didn't know that it isn't possible to get a membership on Lugnet anymore. That's not good. (...) Luckily I keep plenty of backups - also of mission-critical cookies. (...) Yes. What will it take to allow people to get (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) There is also LeoCAD, which has some great features MLCad doesn't have. It sufferes from not being able to use the official parts library (directly), but it's database is regularly updated. And as a bonus it's available for Linux too. I'm (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Thank you Orion. I've finally found the presentation I made some time ago and if you're interested you can download it here: (URL) in Spanish, but that should not be a problem. Any suggestions/addition...provements are welcome. Jetro (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Actually, there has been an 'entry tool' around since 1998 - BlockCAD (www.blockcad.net). While it's using part definitions of its own, and has a lot of limitations (studs up only, fixed rotation of parts, no Technic) you can save models in (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler wrote: --snip-- (...) I think I see a bit better what you were getting at (and what Tore is getting at too which is the same issue I think). I kind of do agree with you both that making new parts is too hard due in part (...) (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Welcome back. My issue with that is that it's out of the hands of LDraw. It's hard to expect the people responsible for LUGNET to make big changes when it's pretty much just one small section that is active. Tim (14 years ago, 20-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) LeoCAD directly imports LDRAW parts. There's no need to wait for an update of its database. It is as simple as downloading from the parts tracker, and then importing into LeoCAD itself. Some folks don't like to manage parts at that level, but (...) (14 years ago, 21-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Yes that is correct, but importing the files is not using them directly, as most other LDraw programs do. And for folks that have multiple parts folders, that can make a big difference. ROSCO (14 years ago, 21-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Nod. But if the people responsible for LUGNET don't want it to gradually fade away and become even less relevant, changes are needed. Without them, other sections won't return either. I note that there's a facebook discussion group started on (...) (14 years ago, 21-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I wanted to make sure people weren't turned away from LeoCAD because they might think they'd be dependent on third parties to provide a parts library, that's just not true, so people SHOULD check it out. It's certainly my LCAD tool of choice (...) (14 years ago, 21-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) That's a really good explanation of why the 'rules and regulations' have grown alongside the part library and software. Tim (14 years ago, 21-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) How widespread a problem is that, though? I know that some parts do indeed have two numbers, but this would seem a glitch that should have been resolved eight or more years ago, no? I mean, when you can turn a brick over and say "Yep, it's a (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) First, let me make it clear that I am not a supporter of this policy (the fact that I have to write "policy" makes me feel a tad ill, to be honest). I was reporting, not defending. You quoted the most relevant portion of what I wrote. "The (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote a big lengthy post. Maybe we could have a chat channel for LDraw? I myself would suggest of creating an IRC channel for users to sit, ask help for and just chat in. As LDraw itself is free software (even though (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) The ones I typically visit (ClassicSpace.com, CrownVic.net, and etc.) all visually show threads with new responses in another color. Some even show you how many new replies there have been since I last visited. It's easy to see what to click (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  LDraw Chat Room?

(...) Yes, didn't I? Almost twice as long as your post... ;) (...) Isn't MLCad freeware? I didn't know that. But then again, I'm not an MLCad user. I don't know about a dedicated LDraw chat. Would it really be populated? There's nothing that stops (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LDraw Chat Room?

(...) It still exists, believe it or not (being actively using it "ever since"). But... my perception is that it's mostly the "same old" users keeping it alive, and a few occasional new ones dropping in. There are 72708 currently active clients on (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LDraw Chat Room?

(...) As a data point, IRC is used extensively for helping out with WikiMedia Foundation related stuff. A fair bit of the traffic in some IRC channels is bot traffic (some bots posting changes, other bots examining the changes and reverting (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LDraw Chat Room?

(...) Well yes, but it's not open source nor "free software" in the GNU sense. (...) I don't know has it ever died but I myself have seen newbies come and go on #kvirc on freenode. It is around, that's for sure. (...) I checked the freenode policies (...) (14 years ago, 22-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LDraw Chat Room?

(...) Well, at least I'm not against giving it a try. /Tore (14 years ago, 23-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Yes, I agree! New generations looks at what I call 'vapor-ware'! The look is the most important think they watch. When I recreate my website, changing the look but not the contents, I got a 10-20% increased access. On the other side, the (...) (14 years ago, 23-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Have you ever tried it ??????? Philo (14 years ago, 23-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) No, this is definitely not true. LeoCAD is AFAIK at least as powerful as MLCad. BlockCAD is the most limited of the pack, but also the easiest to use. When I google for "lego cad" I get: LDraw LeoCAD techbricks' link page containing links to (...) (14 years ago, 23-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I had no idea LeoCAD was that feature-rich. Looking closer, I see LeoCAD is hosted on google code, which implies it's an open source project. But I can't find any code anywhere... is LeoCAD open-source? Remi (14 years ago, 23-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) I've been using LDraw for about 8 months now (as a very casual user), and it's taken quite a while to get into it. I'm mainly using MLCAD to create/edit models and using POV-Ray to render stuff. Here's my take on it... I think the key thing is (...) (14 years ago, 23-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Linked from leocad.org: (URL) (14 years ago, 24-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Lugnet would need to be simpler... It can't compete with modern social networks and user friendly picture-hosting websites. Basically, that would imply A LOT of work while keeping everything free... (14 years ago, 24-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

Wow. It's been a while since a thread here broke the 100 dot limit I think... ROSCO (14 years ago, 25-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) gotta confess to some lurking, here. i'm a frequent user of ldraw and visitor to lugnet. i'm very interested to see where this discussion goes and VERY curious to know what sites are taking the place of lugnet (i 'get' the sites that have all (...) (14 years ago, 25-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) To my knowledge, this is really the only place to discuss LDraw in a manner other than 'check out my MOC in LDraw'. All, or nearly all of the developers (and hopefully future developers) are here. LUGNET also contains the searchable history of (...) (14 years ago, 26-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

--snip-- (...) The Flickr group gets a bit active when I cross-post discussion threads from here to it. There are people that don't use LUGNET but do use Flickr that do like to talk about LDraw. However LUGNET is definitely the central place for it. (...) (14 years ago, 26-Mar-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The future of LDraw?

(...) Hello Lary. I still visit (URL) and (URL) from time to time. If you talk about "gradually fade away"... :-) Though I would still love to get my hands on a few of your "comming soon" set ideas if it happens to happen someday. Fortunately, I (...) (14 years ago, 27-Mar-10, to lugnet.fun)