 CAD / 17038
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:17:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
Yes, maybe it is a generation issue. I followed the link
http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/03/14/the-future-of-ldraw/ and I didn't like
what I saw. I mean, most of the replies were in deed positive and encouraging,
but the layout of the site...  No tree structure but just a linear thread.
Scroll, scroll, scroll down to the latest post. Next time I visit that
discussion, I have no clue on where the last read post is. It feels like if this
is the future, then we're moving backwards into it. :)

But then again, Jesus once said the you cannot pour new wine into old bags so it
must be that same old well-known generation issue...

That's the sort of discussion forum layout that I've seen dominate every site I
use today, except for Lugnet.  Lugnet surely went the hierarchical direction
because the best Newsgroup readers supported hierarchical views.  Like it or
not, that's so 1990's.

One advantage to a linear layout is that it's easy to follow dozens of threads
from day to day.  The site designers set these things up in such a way that when
you click on a thread you visited yesterday, your web browser automatically
scrolls down to where you left off yesterday.  Very little thought is involved
here, as well as very little "clicking" of the mouse.  Today's scroll wheel
mouse (or laptop touch pads) allow for effortless scrolling.

There are pros and cons to each approach, but the linear layout dominates
today's web pages.  Also, Lugnet is stuck in the 1980's when it comes to writing
a post, like this one.  Sure, I can manually type in "[b]bold[/b]" to get bold
text, but on a more modern site, you simply click on an icon to do this for
things like quotes, images, links, smileys, and etc.  Today's linear discussion
forums are, in general, much more user friendly when it comes to posting than
Lugnet.