 CAD / 17098
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 01:13:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Joshua Delahunty wrote:

The library has a host of annoying
errors (such as pairs of parts that have the wrong part numbers, but have to
stay that way for backward compatibility) that are really locked in, because of
that issue.  In a way, the project is a bit of a victim of its own success.

How widespread a problem is that, though?  I know that some parts do indeed have
two numbers, but this would seem a glitch that should have been resolved eight
or more years ago, no?  I mean, when you can turn a brick over and say "Yep,
it's a 3001," I don't see how it can continue to be an issue.

Granted, the embossed number may not always be clear, and for all I know LEGO
may change the numbers from time to time (or not--I have no idea).  But even so
this would seem like a minor annoyance rather than an issue to dictate policy.

For that matter, why is backwards-compatibility such a big deal?  In this thread
it's been stated that LEdit doesn't support LDConfig colors, so why should a
"wrong" part number be maintained, rather than replacing it with a simple
~~MOVED TO statement or deleting it from the library altogether?

Dave!