 CAD / 17043
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:48:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Remi Gagne wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Scott Wardlaw wrote:

I think TBB and flickR have an easier entry.  LUGNET is a bit scary to sign up
to, and is certainly a pain in the but to remember your username (member #) and
password (is this even changeable).  Actually, I remember it being a lot scary
to join.

I very strongly second this.  I've been lurking here for years now, but almost
never post, and never get involved, because of how awkward, old &
user-unfriendly LUGNET is.  I think LUGNET is a huge deterrent to any potential
LDraw newcomers & volunteers.

Remi

I do realize the fact that LUGNET is a huge deterrent, but I just can't get into
my head why. Yes, I recall it was a pain to join LUGNET when I moved from the
mailing list that preceeded LUGNET. But I only had to do it "once in my
lifetime", since I'm only in it for the news. (I have no idea how my LUGNET
profile looks like, or what member number I have). I once logged into LUGNET to
set up which mail address those confirmation mails should be sent to, after that
I have had no reason to log in to LUGNET anymore. Simple as can be.

This Flickr thing OTOH, is a permanent enormous major royal king-size pain IMO.
I was "forced" to create an account to share some pics. It is connected somehow
to yahoo so I had to create a yahoo account too. A couple of moths later, I
wanted to share another picture but couldn't login to Flickr. So I created
another yahoo account with another Flickr account attached to it. This time I
didn't repeat my mistake with creating a yahoo mail account, but use my swipnet
mail address. Next time I had pics to share, I couldn't restore password
settings, so I had to create yet another yahoo and yet another Flickr account! I
think I have 3 or 4 Flickr accounts but can only access two of them.

Uploading and managing pictures to Flickr is another major pain. It looks
completely chaotic when I finally managed to reach one of my "photostreams". I
have tried to organize my pics in "sets", which I presume is the same as
folders. (Why then don't just call them folders???) But yet they show up on the
left side of the screen all in the same unorganized pile, regardless which "set"
the belong to. And there are "galleries" and "groups" and "archives" and I don't
know all. Now *that* is truly awkward and highly repelling to me, compared to
that one-time effort of signing into and then just simply use LUGNET, no more
fuzz.

Then I want to share the pics I finally uploaded. The links to the pictures are
not easy to figure out, and I'm not even sure they are valid or if they work
only for me as I am logged in.

I can't understand how anybody ever can call LUGNET user-unfriendly and in the
same time praise something as annoying and completely user-hostile as Flickr.

(Sorry I really need to do something about my temper...)
/Tore