 CAD / 17044
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:

I do realize the fact that LUGNET is a huge deterrent, but I just can't get into
my head why.
(Sorry I really need to do something about my temper...)
/Tore

Heh, don't apologize - it's great to hear from LUGNET users why they like this
place!  My view is about 100% opposite from yours ;)

Yes, you need a flickr account, but you need to join here too, which we agree is
painful.  When you joined flickr, they were being acquired by Yahoo, hence the
dual account mess.  These days, joining is a 20 second, 5 field web page
process.  Easy.  And totally standard across most of the web.

To be fair, a discussion on flickr's picture posting features is irrelevant -
compare apples to apples.  Try posting a reply to Tim's LDraw thread, then post
a reply here.  Night and day.

At flickr, you need to log in. That's an email address and password.  But that
can be cached by your browser to keep you logged in all the time.  Then,
navigate to the discussion & scroll to the bottom.  There, you'll find a simple
text box.  Type in your message, hit 'Post', and that's it.

More importantly, that's how 90% of comment systems on the internet work.
There's nothing special about it, nothing to remember (beyond login); it just
works.

At LUGNET, I have to find the post I want to reply to, then click reply.  Ok so
far.  Then I have to enter my Name, Email address and click 'yes' for the terms
& services.  Only then can I enter a response.  Then click Preview.  Then click
Post.  Then check my bloody email(!) for some silly, cryptic authorization
email.  Decipher that, then either reply with an 'X' in exactly the right spot,
or click a link and then,and only then, can I finally post a message.  Which
then takes minutes to show up.  Heaven forbid you type either your name or email
address wrong in the initial posting - do that, and you get a cryptic, evil
'Server denied your posting' message.

Sorry, but there's no conceivable way LUGNET is easier to post to than flickr.
I think you've just been here too long ;)

Remi