 CAD / 17066
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:32:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson wrote:
   I’m reading LUGNET through a newsreader - Outlook Express - which is the same as my email program. I donwload all new posts in a batch (much, much, MUCH, faster than loading web pages) and then I can read the posts at my leisure, I don’t even need an internet connection.
goodness of newsreaders deleted to save space

While true, most newer Internet users don’t have a clue what a Newsreader is. That’s because Newsreaders are mostly used by Usenet users and Usenet (at least the groups I read) is dying. In fact, rec.toys.lego pretty much died when Lugnet was formed. Clinging to a Newsreader is great for older users like you and I, but it’s an uphill battle for newer Internet users.

   People who have never used a newsreader don’t know what they are missing when they click their fingers sore on web ‘forums’.

Yet those same web ‘forums’ are exploding with new users as Usenet newsgroups are dying every day.

Jeff p.s. Just playing devil’s advocate here since I still use my Newsreader every day too. Even so, most of the online forums I read and post to are Web based. Actually, they’re all web based with the notable exception of Lugnet and one email list to which I’m still subscribed.