 CAD / 17088
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler wrote:
For whatever reason, I've never made the shift to MLCad or other platforms, and
I've been served very well James Jessiman's foundation programs.  Lars Hassing's
L3Lab and Kevin Klague's LPub have been invaluable as well, but everything I do
that's Lego CAD-related (apocryphal or otherwise) starts in LEdit.

  I know you're not into MLCad, and it is indeed so 1990's.  I wish the front
end tools (model entry) were more modern, and some recent developments might be
heading in the right direction (Bricksmith, SR 3D Builder).  Like you, I use the
tools I already know, so I've not tried them.  I'd like an entry tool like LDD
(which I've hardly used).

There is also LeoCAD, which has some great features MLCad doesn't have. It
sufferes from not being able to use the official parts library (directly), but
it's database is regularly updated.

And as a bonus it's available for Linux too. I'm surprised someone hasn't tried
to build it for Mac, give Bricksmith a little friendly competition ;)

ROSCO