 CAD / 17031
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:44:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
--snip--

Yes, maybe it is a generation issue. I followed the link
http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/03/14/the-future-of-ldraw/ and I didn't like
what I saw. I mean, most of the replies were in deed positive and encouraging,
but the layout of the site...  No tree structure but just a linear thread.
Scroll, scroll, scroll down to the latest post. Next time I visit that
discussion, I have no clue on where the last read post is. It feels like if this
is the future, then we're moving backwards into it. :)

But then again, Jesus once said the you cannot pour new wine into old bags so it
must be that same old well-known generation issue...

/Tore

That structure attracted 6.2 thousand comments last year out of 8.4 million page
views. You may not like it (I prefer threading too) but it's here to stay.

And between TBB and flickr (same structure) there are already over 40 comments
about this issue. Contrast to here and you see where the future lies.

Tim

I think TBB and flickR have an easier entry.  LUGNET is a bit scary to sign up
to, and is certainly a pain in the but to remember your username (member #) and
password (is this even changeable).  Actually, I remember it being a lot scary
to join.

The tree structure and searchability make LUGNET worth it.  That, and the wealth
of knowledge contained in its history and active users.

Also, how would someone discover LUGNET?  I certainly didn't ever put LEGO User
Group into any search engine.  However, the main reason I joined wasn't for the
conversations about rotation matrices or any other LDraw this or that, but so I
could show off my MOCs for discussion.  The other websites certainly have the
market on MOC discussion.

All of that said, without having joined LUGNET (and recording my username and
password), I would never have been involved with LDraw.

Scott W.