 CAD / 17083
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:40:50 GMT

Tore Eriksson wrote:

What I believe is the biggest issue is nobody's fault: All the easy,
"basic" parts are already made, and the new parts LEGO makes are very
hard to LDraw.

I think you are completely right here! I have done some starts in part
authoring, but given up on 'the real thing' as there are no easy parts left
to do. Of course this makes it much harder for a budding part author.

The quality which is required is also a hurdle - who really cares aboth the
thickness of an invisible inner wall? Who really cares if two surfaces
overlap a bit, if it *looks* OK?

In my BlockCAD program I go the other way - only the outside of my parts
matter, I try to simplify them as much as possible, to make it easier/faster
for my program to draw them. This way my users can actually work with models
contaning tens of thousands of parts (and the models created are still
compatible to LDRAW, if needed).

--
Anders Isaksson