 CAD / 17049
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:07:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Remi Gagne wrote:
I guess my biggest & most evil yet realistic question would be: is it worth the
effort needed to save LUGNET?  I'd be happy to volunteer, but I can't help feel
that most of the world has spoken, and moved on...

Remi

I am very tempted to change the subject line of this branch of the discussion
tree into "The future of LUGNET?". I know, it was mostly my "fault" the this
thread changed subjects. But to me, it's the strength of the tree structure.
Then anyone who's just interested in the future of LDraw wouldn't have to read
these posts. And will be able to respond at exactly that thing written 20 posts
ago. If this would have been a one-dimention thread, a comment on Scott
Wardlaw's PowerPoint presentation here would be as good as off-topic and
confusion.

But back to the future (hep!) of LDraw. Like I said, many have complained that
it's just LDraw stuff discussed in LUGNET. Just a thought: maybe when we discuss
all aspects of LDraw line format, color codes, rotation matrices, programming
language specific behaviours, different platforms, compability issues, and yeah
btw, one more thing about color codes (6 months later...), the tree model is
priceless. But if you present your latest MOC, people reply "Cool!", "Great!",
"How did you do this and that?", you reply "I used this and that part."... Then
the linear discussion model is maybe even to prefer?

- - -

Maybe LUGNET is best suited for LDraw and complexed cad.dev discussions? Maybe
it has been a bad thing mainly for the vitality of LDraw that LUGNET has been
deserted? Not LDraw usage, because I have already seen enough evidence that this
apsect of LDraw is very much alive and new users are attracted. I could live
with these tech discussions being moved to LDraw.org. But that demands someone
migrates the whole forum over there. Preferably with an archive of all CAD
discussion made on LUGNET. (What a job!) If not for any other reason, so for the
sake of LDraw,  LUGNET News must be saved (and hopefully vitalized!) until we
have some other "hub" where we can discuss LCad tech stuff.

/Tore