 CAD / 17013
Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:25:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
There is a discussion in the Lugnet group at facebook on the fact that people
leave Lugnet.com in favour for other, often theme specialized sites. Questions
like "Why is it so and what can be done to get people back to Lugnet?" are
discussed.

Some say the just CAD related discussions there at Lugnet nowadays, and yes
they're quite right. But even that activity has decreased a lot IMO. The few
posts there may be read hundreds of times, but responses are few and from very
few people. While theme geeks may have moved to theme specific sites, were have
LDrawers moved? Away from LCad I'm afraid? And, worst of all, aren't there any
new people joining? Or is there some new, large and vivid LDraw discussion forum
that I'm unaware of? LCad is such a great thing, but do we attract new
enthusiasts, or are we even scaring them away somehow?

People complain about Lugnet.com being outdated and stone age and inconvenient
to access and participate in. I don't agree on that, but that doesn't help
Lugnet. And I think it's closer to the truth if it has been LDraw.org described
that way. I have never found LDraw.org attractive or easy to navigate, or even
to access.

What do you think?

/Tore

Times changes and also the behaviour of the people.
The internet changes much quicker.

But I think the most important item is that LUTNET and also LDraw.org does not
make adverticements. So how should be people find us.

The new possibilities that are now available to each individuum are great. They
can present to their friends what they are doing in a comfortable way.

In my eyes the break began as BRICKSHELF announce to be closed.

At that point the people had to look for alternatives and they found. And the
alternative is much better for them as it is easier to handle. They don't care
for the negative aspects as nobody tells them.

I think there is no doubt that the user interface for LDraw.org is far away from
beeing good. But as all is done by volunteers it can not change fast.

I see LUGNET and BRICKSHELF still as "the source" for LEGO related stuff.
LDraw.org is a very special addon that did not have a competitor in the past,
but today everybody can use LDD. Here again the advertisement will surely draw
the attention to LDD instead of LDraw.org. And again nobody tells the people
what they are missing if they use LDD instead of LDraw System of Tools.
(Did you ever created photorealistic picture with LDD? Did you ever created
movies from LDD? Did you ever created good building instruction from LDD?)

The aim of LUGNET and LDraw.org is today the same as in the past and the aim is
still a good one.

I am sure that not all of the currently "hip" services will be present also in 5
- 10 years. I am sure LUGNET and LDraw.org does, as they are specific and not
mainstream. We have to update the user interface, no doubt. We should also link
and combine with the new services. But mainly we have to transport our benefits
to the people that are "newbees".

We need a marketing volunteer.

cu
mikeheide