 Trains / *7169 (-100)
  Planning on a new History of LEGO Windows....

I noticed that my DEJA News posts about the history of classic LEGO windows has been aged off (it's gone!). That is no problem, because I want to do a brand new post on the subject. Last week I received another European Dealers Windows & Doors box (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: multi train dogbone

(...) This layout was designed as a tolly line, so it wasn't tested with longer trains. (...) In this case, this was not a problem. However, in a different project, Tom Cook designed an automated level crossing that had to deal with long trains (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NCLUG's First Exhibit

"sheree rosenkrantz" <srosez@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Fz9F8J.A7L@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) able (...) Present were myself and my son Travis, Jimmy Beerman, and a former co-worker of mine, Chris Suich and his son. Cary (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org)

  FunBrix Pic of the Week #5

Hi All, The 5th "FunBrix Pic of the Week" is here! OMSI (Holiday Junction) Layout - by: PNLTC. On this week before the PNLTC/LEGO Train event in Seattle, Washington. We thought it fitting to feature one of their pictures from the past. So check out (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: multi train dogbone

Dan, Very clever layout. How is the RCX deturning when to let the next train go? Is it timed or is it using a sensor to figure out if the track was clear. I would be curious to see how this worked with longer trains, ones with a few pieces of (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NCLUG's First Exhibit

Mike Walsh <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:Fz24J8.61r@lugnet.com... (...) that (...) 15 (...) seen (...) that (...) and (...) configuration. (...) caboose (...) probably (...) Thanks for the pictures and the report Mike. (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: multi train dogbone

(...) Yes. Much less hoop-jumping involved. The worst, of course, is Quicktime -- stupid proprietary codec. (It'd be much less of an issue if they'd produce a player for Linux, even a closed-source one. But no.) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

  Re: multi train dogbone

(...) You do mean that mpegs are easier to view than avi's right? We use mpegs for several reasons - first of all, that's what the mavica outputs :) And second, I would hate to boot to windows just to view a clip... And third, Jenn would never boot (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

  Re: multi train dogbone

(...) Which is nice, by the way -- I appreciate coming across movies I don't have to go to great lengths to play back on Linux. (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: multi train dogbone

(...) VirtualDub ((URL) do rotate easily. Just use one of the filters. It only output to AVI though so you may need other program to convert it back to MPEG1. (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: multi train dogbone

(...) but sometime in the near future I'd like to get some to do RCX-based projects much like this. People have said to me before that there's no good way to electrically isolate sections of track; obviously you've done that. Any secret trick? (...) (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  multi train dogbone

Hey all, Here's something we've [1] been working on for our next show... It's a dogbone shaped track, that runs 3 trains on it at once, without collisions. It's pure LEGO, no modifications, and needs only one RCX. The center section of track (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Black LEGO Crocodile Train

Recently I built a black and grey version of the LEGO Crocodile Engine. Since one of the key pieces (the front window element) isn't available in black, I had to make a few modifications to make it work out. Here are the results: (URL) also posted a (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: best train set for starting out

(...) Curt, Set 4565 is definitely the way to go. I've recently discovered LEGO trains, and bought 4559 first. Hard to make freight equipment out of that set,managed to make a 'critter' and a pair of depressed-center flatcars,but that's it. Since (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Microsoft Train Simulator Update

(...) This sounds great, it's about time that Microsoft turned it's attention to railroads. I'm looking forward to it... -Harvey (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

Jonathan Wilson wrote:> (...) Ah.. I missed that message before- I believe I understand how it was built now. The black plate on the bottom of the thinwall was throwing me... -chris (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

Didnt you post before in this thread about the pinball machine, I remember you said that a spyrius tile was used for the face. (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) I hate to do this, but I'll do a DAT file when I get back from vacation in a week. It's late right now, and my brain won't let me use all the words and logic I'd need to explain it, and I leave in the morning. My apologies. It would indeed be (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Microsoft Train Simulator Update

Hey Guys and Gals Thought you might want to check it out. Release is in spring 2001. Go to (URL) to check out screen shots and more Mark (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) WAMALUG train show... barely compares to yours. Pics can be found in my brickshelf gallery. I've been planning on redoing mine now that I have loads of clear thinwalls. The Spamcake Diner has given me a lot on inspiration. Thanks! What part(s) (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: Fukaya Availability

September 23nd works better for me, but I can still swing the 2nd if neccessary. (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Fukaya Availability

(...) I've got two concerts and a BBQ in between on Sept. 2...that's not a great day for getting new folk in, as it's a holiday weekend. Can we do two - one on 9/2 and one on 9/23, even if 9/23 only uses half the room?? Paul Sinasohn (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Narrow Gauge Gazette?

(...) For that matter, I left the free kit that I was handed as I entered...HO scale building...if no one wants it, I was going to give it to my brother.... Paul Sinasohn (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Fukaya Availability

Hi, If we want ALL (both sides) of the Fukaya room, they are available: September 2nd, the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend or not again until November 11th (A long time from now!) December is not open for booking until Sept. I booked Saturday the 2nd. (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Narrow Gauge Gazette?

Hi, Did anybody take home a copy of the Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette free handout magazine (mostly black cover) from the show on Friday nite (or any other) I left it at the booth and Ross couldn't find it. thanks, Mark (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Post Flyer to BAYLUG site?

Zonker, Do you want to post the NMRA BAYLUG flyer on the site, or on BAYLTC as a FAQ? LMK. Mark (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  RE: The Spamcake Diner

Da Diner needs a kids menu with the usual stuff and specials of liver and onions and beets for $50. mark (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) WOW! The details are fantastic, the text funny and the spamcake tasty! Your site reminds me a bit of those PBS specials that they do on eateries. They did one on diners a few years ago and I am sure the Spamcake diner would have fit right in. (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: Edmonton Train Show Bridge

(...) Looks like it's got about an eight-fold safety factor... 8-) I was thinking larger, like the PNLTC one, including being "Double-wide". Of course this depends on the layout, which I'm going to play around with. Can you e-mail me the files for (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: best train set for starting out

(...) Best set to start with, of the current sets, would be a 4565. Get a extra box of straight track, and a box of switches, and ask one of us for a controller. I'm not sure, but I think if you ask nicely, you might be able to get the set for a (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: And more new mocs

Thanks for calling attention to your new models. Very nice! Amazing techni-colors! later, James Mathis (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  best train set for starting out

I've been a Technic fan for a long time and am now looking to get into getting some of the Lego train sets. Could anyone recommend which sets might be the best one to buy starting out. I was thinking one of the larger main sets along with some extra (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) Oh, it's the butter-flavored movie theater oil dispenser! :-, Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) That's dark grey - think tool wheel.........oilcan ;-) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) (URL) graphic on the sign, btw. :-, Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) Dude. That pinball machine is awesome. Also the jukebox. Heck, the whole thing is (as my family would put it) pretty dang good. Where'd you get that black coffee pot in the jukebox scene? I've noticed that the Roast Log o' Spamcake is more (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: 9V trains alternate between freight & passenger sets?

I recall that for the 9V line, it has primarily been such that both a Freight and a Passenger set has been available at all times. Of course, the 4559 was supposed to be both, but that is another issue. The 4565 is due to be retired after this year, (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) Indeed really a great piece of highly detailed work, but the only thing missing is an outside picture of the finished building. Not all people know about the pictures in the brickshelf gallery under (URL) there even more pictures somewhere in (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

Hi Tom Your Diner is one of the most original Lego build-ups i've seen in a while, fantastic work, i will post your page in the german Forum for all to see, keep up the great work. Paul (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: And more new mocs

Each wheel is made of two parts, the inside is a 4x4 round in drk gray (from SW "Y" wing) and the outside is the top of a black 4x4 turn table. The underside of the turn table top has nice detail not show in the cad drawing. I used a steak knife to (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9V trains alternate between freight & passenger sets?

(...) Lets hope so,we really need new freight types for more variety. -Harvey (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) Simply awesome is what I think! And I don't mean just the Diner, which, having seen it in person, is wonderful in its own right. Your Spamcake Diner page is an instant classic, Tom. Now, what I would like to see you do is to franchise out the (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) I can't say much cuz I'm packing for vacation now. But I will say that two 1x2 plate hinge pairs with fingers, two 5 long technic halfbeams and those funky 1x2 x 1x4 brackets largely make up the structure of the pinball machine; the (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  Re: And more new mocs

(...) What pieces are you using to make up you drive wheels? John Warren (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Spamcake Diner

(...) Do you think you could provide info on how you made that cool pinball machine and that cool juke box? (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build)

  The Spamcake Diner

... now has its own webpage. Details can be seen at (URL) better picture of the completed model (that many of you have seen) is forthcoming. LMKWYT -Tom McD. when replying, when catering to a discerning crowd, bacon & cheese flavored frosting should (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish, lugnet.build) !

  9V trains alternate between freight & passenger sets?

Hi, Is this a possible pattern I've noticed about the 9V train sets? Based on information in Lugnet's set database: 4563 Load N' Haul Railway 1992 4558 Metroliner 1992 4564 Freight Rail Runner 1995 4559 Cargo Railway 1996 4565 Freight & Crane (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: And more new mocs

It's called the Royal Hudson running on Canadian Pacific cira 1937 The real thing: (URL) gallery of the real thing: (URL) of Lionel toy version: (URL) I just found these pics. I was working from a profile pic in a train book I have. It certainly (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: And more new mocs

(...) Do you have a picture of a real engine in these colours as prototype? Do you know the type of that engine? Since it is a streamline it might be a version of BR01 or BR03... I have tried some mistaken attempts to build one of them myself. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  And more new mocs

Pics of my first larger steam engine. It 4-6-4 that is meant to pull the Rhiengold coaches. It is a first iteration and I haven't built the tender yet. It's under Engines on Bickshelf. I also added latest iteration of the 5 coaches I have been (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: See Double Decker Commuter

(...) If ever I can afford to buy multiple blue soccer busses, then this is a possibility because I really like the "buffalo" train set! (...) Thank you. I think my version of the 1700 engine is too short, but LEGO modeling suggests compression. (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Why do we (BAYLTC) want to display?

Why we build? Why we display? Great thread. Zonker is right, it's important that you know WHY you want to do something so that you get the most out of it. Mike wrote a great response which I mostly snipped One short interjection... (...) Mike's (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: See Double Decker Commuter

That's easy - if you have grey Metroliner windows (1x4x3 OR 1x2x3), trade them to me for yellow 1x4x3 windows ;-) (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: See Double Decker Commuter

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message news:Fz1nsF.7By@lugnet.com... (...) commuter (...) modify (...) I like it very much, hope you pick it up and make more cars and perhaps a new version with the improvements you mentioned in your (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Sets availible

HI all! I just got the stock check for my local "dealer" og which the following might be interesting: #4525 3 pcs left #4532 5 pcs #4539 2 pcs (I'll take these two myself!!!!!!) #4552 2 pcs #4555 6 pcs Let me know if you intersted [I have been (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC BR03 steam engine totally rebuild

(...) Maybe you can guess here how it's done: (URL) used windows of 2879 biplane and the following standard hinges: (URL) random the height fits to normal direction of bricks, if you use the roof half a stud narrower. Kind Regards, Ben (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Hopper cars

(...) It's an open point of discussion. I'm personally against it for the moment and won't be doing it with mine any time soon. (...) Try www.brickshelf.com ++Lar (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NCLUG's First Exhibit

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:Fyuu21.6rC@lugnet.com... (...) exhibit (...) This is a little delayed but better late than never. I was reluctant to post until I got some pictures uploaded but since I lost my USB (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Thank You's (was Re: NMRA 2000 Successful)

(...) definately (...) They definitely fit well in Traindom, either stationery, or as a railcar. I hafta admit though that at 16 wide, it would make an interesting Lego train car :-) (...) <snip> (...) Mike, let me just say thank you for all the (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: Hopper cars

(...) Man have I missed out on a lot in the past couple years! (See (URL) for an explanation of sorts.) Larry - great work from what I can see, and good to read your posts - I especially liked (URL) Based on my past buys/auctions, I suspect you know (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...

(...) Seems like a stretch to me, but a great idea. Eric - Great nursery layout - If you need a babysitter some time, just let me know... 8-) TTYL SRC (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

(...) I have to agree. That diner made my jaw drop to the floor. I have seen previous attempts and they have all been ok. This one, however, takes the cake. I love the way the rounded corners blend in for the perfect diner shape. I am currently (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

I will not have any tracks enter the station. The tracks will come across outside the station, which will allow me to move the station much easier. Come to think of it now, I might want to just slide the back out another 32 studs and see how it (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

I sympathize with your "end-of-station" pondering. I graveled with that issue for my mere two story monorail track as the front transitioned to the side, then on to the back. How many parallel tracks will enter your station? Any thoughts on the (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: MOC BR03 steam engine totally rebuild

Ben, I really like the subtle inward slope of the cab windows. Any photograph revealing your detail on that area? Beautifully sculpted! later, James Mathis (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  See Double Decker Commuter

I post this in response to some discussion concerning double decker commuter trains. This is a fairly old model. I built it back in March or April. It is still a version 1 model as I haven't had time nor inclination to modify it further. It is (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...

(...) Whenever I FINALLY get around to building a house, I plan on running track through almost every room, with doors on the hole's in the walls - the train will throw a switch when it gets near a door, opening it. (...) If you have a canister vac, (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More NMRA pictures posted...

The Daylight is very nice, and I like the use of the crown gear on the for the bolted on front of the boiler look, very slick. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC BR03 steam engine totally rebuild

I always like to see Steam Engines; great job! "Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message news:Fz10q5.AxF@lugnet.com... (...) fat. So (...) track. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: "Engine War" in Germany

(...) Hey I recognize that sig! :^) (in a paraphrased way!) All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...

Maybe we will all see the first dust-busting train car from you? Chris (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  More NMRA pictures posted...

The BayLTC club pictures are posted online. They are sorted by day at the moment, but were named so we can put them in one directory later on, once we get a web page set up. :-) (URL) Day 1 (Friday) was for dealers and NMRA members only. Day 2 and (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

Actually, that station is part of the 2001 Train Series. ;-) Mike Reinhard "Ben" Beneke <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message news:Fz0KGy.M1n@lugnet.com... (...) came (...) been (...) get (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...

(...) This would be interesting. I have already thought of ways to expand this by putting a hole (tunnel) through the wall into the next room to connect to a shelf in that room. I doubt that will happen any time soon but its just a thought. (...) I (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

Great building. Great photography. I have to get myself some BURBs... Bryan "Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message news:Fz10q5.AxF@lugnet.com... (...) fat. So (...) track. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  MOC BR03 steam engine totally rebuild

My BR03 steam engine was not running savely over points and it was too fat. So I started to rebuild it yesterday. Now it's no longer 7-wide, but standard 6-wide and with the new tricky wheel suspension it runs over all kind of track. Pictures are (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Looking for a 12 V electromotor for al ego train from the 70th

I am looking for a 12 V electromotor (Oder Nr. 702) for a lego train bought in the 70th or for a 4.5 V battery motor (Order Nr. 103) for the same train. Who can help me? (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...

Great peice of work! I have myself been thinking of such a thing, mostly for storage and display. Currectly my cars are stored away, but tought that this could be way for storing them. I tought of a 2 level layout with 4 points, so trains can drive (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

(...) Great pictures Mike! Thanks for sharing them with us. I guess a lot of people have taken more views on the buildings (georgeous station!) than on the rolling stock... Leg Godt! Ben (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message news:3990A5E2.AD78A8...ane.edu... (...) your (...) definately (...) [ ... snipped ... ] I agree with Chris' statements - when I saw the Diner my immediate reaction was "Wow, why (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

(...) From Roger Rothhaar and myself, thanks for the compliment! :-) It was a lot of fun to build. -Tom McD. (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

Wow, great stuff. I liked everything, but I also must add that I LOVED your diner. Every once and a while when I see a model I exclaim "I wish I had thought of that!" So, now I'll just have to be inspired by it. I am definately going to build one. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

Thank you, James. Your station was obviously an influence on mine and when I add to the interior, I am sure the similarities will be more obvious. In fact, I was about 80% done with a replica of your station when I decided that I was more into (...) (24 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: NMRA 2000 Successful

Wonderful pictures. I was especially attracted to the incredibly large white and glass train station! (URL) certainly dwarfs my station of a similar design. Amazing piece count of pieces that I consider somewhat "rare". I hope I catch future (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: MTW Wishlist

I'd like to see the model that uses the Naboo Fighter glass for a double deck car. I've used 1/4 curved "Paradisia" windows for an observation car match to my 7740. (URL) tried a few designs for double deck commuter. Indeed, this one looks (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...

Great work, it really looks nice. If you find that it is too noisy, you might look into the cork subroadbed that is advertized in the model railroading magazines. I am pretty sure there is one 6 inches wide. Michel Magnan (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.fun.crafts)

  Re: Self-Centering extended coupler

Yes, I am concerned that the slack action could result in a high failure rate, especially if there is not a strong structure at the end of the car to help keep the coupler attached to the car. Thanks for the kudos. The design occurred to me when I (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:FyzLuI.4Fr@lugnet.com... (...) looked (...) was a (...) I'd (...) matter (...) have (...) comment (...) Try Tim Courtney - he seems to get everything for free... :-) (...) at (...) (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)

(...) I think at the last GATS show we asked for and received $400. (Some shows also have competition between the layouts, with prize money for the winners.) We asked for the money guaranteed, and were still eligible for the prize money. Other shows (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)

(...) 1000 is definitely way too much, at this point. I think GMLTC typically looked for some amount that would cover the expenses (gas, budget lodging if it was a long way away from MSP, etc.)... 100 seems reasonable, maybe a bit more. I'd ask GATS (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  RE: NMRA show (the first of many?)

How much is a reasonable amount? $100 $1000? It would be nice if we looked more formal with skirt, large banner sign, maybe roped off build area. Use fee to buy skirt, etc? Mark (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Yellow 4.5 volt motor

It came from a Universal Set from the 70's. I had one in the 404, I think, but I am going from memory. I believe that there may have been another set with the motor in yellow, but I don't know which one that would be. Mike Peter Simpson (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Self-Centering extended coupler

Very nice design. No springs either! I will definitely try it. The slack action, as you mentioned, is a concern, but kudos to the design that allows you to push and still have the coupler pivot. "Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...

Very nice!!! My brother-in-law was thinking of something similar. I will have to show him yours. "Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message news:FywFon.EH9@lugnet.com... (...) a (...) a (...) but (...) response. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.fun.crafts)

  Re: eBay Outrageous prices!

In case anyone's wondering... This auction ended at $305!!! "sobafett" ended up the "winner." i got in touch with the second-highest bidder--at $295--who now knows better than to overbid. I let him know that we weren't being a bunch of obnoxious (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)

(...) You guys rocked based on the pictures I saw. I would caution you to be selective in what shows you accept going forward. I have no comment on the Hayward thing in particular, but in general, pick the shows that will get you and the hobby the (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Self-Centering extended coupler

(...) Tricky design. Maybe I will adept it to some MOCs one day... Ben (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Self-Centering extended coupler

This came up a couple of days ago, but I finally came up with a design for a coupler that (1) is not connected to the trucks, (2) pivots to allow the cars to negotiate the curves, (3) centers itself when the car is being pushed, and (4) pivots to (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  (canceled)

  Re: eBay Outrageous prices!

(...) What I interpreted as a "scam" is another person in on the deal driving up the price for some unsuspecting person to bid on. You're right on sitting back and watching, all I did was point it out for other people to see it. You have to admit (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact