 Trains / 6812
Re: eBay Outrageous prices!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 04:01:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
I must say negative to the applauds.  He is not "getting ripped off" but
rather ripping himself off.  There was no reserve and the opening bid was
$19.95, so the seller isn't trying to rip a person off.  Rather, you have an
example of two people who don't know the value of a set bidding against
eachother.  You have effectively told him he is ignorant, which most people
don't like to hear.  Also, it makes it likely that the seller will get
shafted, as the bidder will likely not pay.

I have been on both sides of this equation and must say that the thing to do
is just take it in stride.  As a seller, I occasionally get more than
something is "worth" (in respect to fair market value) that I feel is
necessary to offset the times I sell things that do not get the fair market
price.

Also, please tell me where you can get a mint, still factory sealed
Metroliner for less than $200.  I would like to buy 50 of them at that
price.

But I really take offense at people referring to this as a scam and it is
not right to infer that a seller who makes a large profit is a rip-off
artist just because some idiot, who doesn't do his homework before he makes
his bid, decides to offer too much.

Mike Poindexter

What I interpreted as a "scam" is another person in on the deal driving up the
price for some unsuspecting person to bid on. You're right on sitting back and
watching, all I did was point it out for other people to see it. You have to
admit that it's not everyday you see 4559 going for $305. As for the
Metroliner, go here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=399914359
It's got 2 days left, I thought it said 2 hours. I'd keep a watch on it
though :-)

~Nick
http://members.aol.com/swatlego