 Trains / 6808
Re: eBay Outrageous prices!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 01:22:05 GMT

Nick Crocco <swatlego@aol.com> wrote in message
news:Fyy804.G46@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Sid Mark Dinsay writes:

Nick,

A scam is afoot--unless this "iwata" guy actually thinks this set is • worth
$295.  I just wrote him an email telling him he's getting ripped off. • Out of
concern for my fellow, SANE LegoManiac.

By the way, I sold this set, opened but in good condition with box, for • $100
including S&H.

onedaycnn (Sid)
http://onedaycnn.freeservers.com

::Applauds:: Yeah... I wouldn't expect for this set to go over $125 mint • in
mint package unopened... It's only 3 years old... I mean, you can get a
metroliner for less than $200... Geeze...

~Nick
http://members.aol.com/swatlego

I must say negative to the applauds.  He is not "getting ripped off" but
rather ripping himself off.  There was no reserve and the opening bid was
$19.95, so the seller isn't trying to rip a person off.  Rather, you have an
example of two people who don't know the value of a set bidding against
eachother.  You have effectively told him he is ignorant, which most people
don't like to hear.  Also, it makes it likely that the seller will get
shafted, as the bidder will likely not pay.

I have been on both sides of this equation and must say that the thing to do
is just take it in stride.  As a seller, I occasionally get more than
something is "worth" (in respect to fair market value) that I feel is
necessary to offset the times I sell things that do not get the fair market
price.

Also, please tell me where you can get a mint, still factory sealed
Metroliner for less than $200.  I would like to buy 50 of them at that
price.

But I really take offense at people referring to this as a scam and it is
not right to infer that a seller who makes a large profit is a rip-off
artist just because some idiot, who doesn't do his homework before he makes
his bid, decides to offer too much.

Mike Poindexter