 Trains / 6809
Re: eBay Outrageous prices!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 02:43:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Also, please tell me where you can get a mint, still factory sealed
Metroliner for less than $200.  I would like to buy 50 of them at that
price.

Ditto for me, too.

But I really take offense at people referring to this as a scam and it is
not right to infer that a seller who makes a large profit is a rip-off
artist just because some idiot, who doesn't do his homework before he makes
his bid, decides to offer too much.

And as an active eBay Lego buyer, I have also had to just shake my head in
amazement while watching another person drive a price through the roof. And I
do pity the seller (most of the time), as they have to deal with buyers who
frequently DO ignore the bid "contract" on eBay and refuse to pay.

The Pneumatic Crane (8460) is a typically over-bid item. The kit retailed just
five years ago for $99, and now it gets up to an amazing $185 at times. Couple
that with the fact that most MISB of this one are coming out of Europe, now
you're paying over double for a kit that could (almost) be put together from
current kits, service items, and Pitsco-Lego-Dacta purchases.

Another two over-bid kits are the two Control Centers (8094) and (8485). Most
go for around $200 MISB, and opened ones in good condition aren't much off from
that. While the Control Centers are great (good piece count, cool electronics,
etc.) most of the pieces from them are easily assembled from other sources
(service, Pitsco-Lego-Dacta, newer kits, etc.).

I am a builder. I open and build every kit I buy. I have no grandiose ideas
that I'm going to turn around a huge profit in ten years by hoarding five
copies of the Super Street Sensation (8448) [Right, like I could afford that,
anyway!!!], but when I can afford to, I buy two of every set I get. I build
both and use the parts in other creations.

So kudos to sellers who do get more than they paid for an item. Boo to ignorant
buyers who drive the prices high and then leave sellers in the lurch. And
DOUBLE BOO to sellers who maintain a second eBay account to drive prices higher
with, or who introduce bids at US$19.99 but have an outrageous reserve price.

- Sean