Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:51:19 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Russell Clark writes:
From: "David K. Z. Harris" <zonker@gnac.com>
Subject: NMRA show (the first of many?)
Date: Sun, Aug 6, 2000, 11:00 PM

We have been asked by another local group if we might be
interested in exhibiting at a show in Hayward, CA, in January 2001.

You guys rocked based on the pictures I saw. I would caution you to be
selective in what shows you accept going forward. I have no comment on the
Hayward thing in particular, but in general, pick the shows that will get you
and the hobby the most exposure, or that will be the most personal fun for you
to do. GMLTC learned that it's easy to get burned out doing too many shows.

With GATS, make them pay you a little something if you can. Don't get greedy
but GATS now knows the value of a LEGO layout as a draw, and as a way to get
people to bring their kids, and as a way to get people to stay longer. Use
that as a way to at the very least get your show related expenses defrayed.
Remember that GATS is a for profit org that exists to get people to come and
buy stuff from the dealers so that the dealers will pay GATS to be able to
come to the shows. Layouts are a draw, not the primary focus.

To that end, make sure you're adding something new each time so people get a
new treat every time they see you. THAT argues for not doing a show every
month or you'll be so busy planning shows and doing them that you'll have no
time to build!

++Lar