Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:13:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mark Benz writes:
How much is a reasonable amount?
$100 $1000?

1000 is definitely way too much, at this point. I think GMLTC typically looked
for some amount that would cover the expenses (gas, budget lodging if it was a
long way away from MSP, etc.)... 100 seems reasonable, maybe a bit more. I'd
ask GATS for help and leave it open, see what they offer. The NMRA, no matter
how much they profess to love you, isn't in it for the money and doesn't have
the funds to defray club exhibition expenses.

I think at the last GATS show we asked for and received $400.  (Some shows
also have competition between the layouts, with prize money for the winners.)
We asked for the money guaranteed, and were still eligible for the prize money.

Other shows we'll do for $100, which is just barely enough to cover gas
money!  We tell people "We're not doing this for the money, it's our hobby!"
If you truly enjoy doing a show, you'll feel comfortable asking for less
money - there are shows we try to do every year that we do for very little,
just because we have such a good time...
<snip>

There is no one right answer. Do what you're comfortable with, and be
situational... shows vary. I favor the GMLTC approach but totally understand
why others may not. Their MOCs may be hard to reproduce! (but remember, GMLTC
slogan is "we love to build" so they're OK with reengineering on the fly.)

Oh yea, and we've got a LOT of building to do for our next layout!!  <grin>

JohnG, GMLTC
  (lose the '.nospam', or reach me at  gmltc_j1 @ yahoo.com )

fut .trains.org