 Trains / 6840
Re: A real live working LEGO Shelf railway...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:53:55 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Sonnich Jensen writes:
Great peice of work!

I have myself been thinking of such a thing, mostly for storage and display.
Currectly my cars are stored away, but tought that this could be way for
storing them.
I tought of a 2 level layout with 4 points, so trains can drive from level 1
to level 2 an visa-versa.

This would be interesting.  I have already thought of ways to expand this by
putting a hole (tunnel) through the wall into the next room to connect to a
shelf in that room.  I doubt that will happen any time soon but its just a
thought.

Whenever I FINALLY get around to building a house, I plan on running track through
almost every room, with doors on the hole's in the walls - the train will throw a
switch when it gets near a door, opening it.

I don't plan on any glass around the shelf.  Yes I expect it to get fairly
dirty and require occasional cleaning but because it is so high up much of the
dirt won't be visible so it will probably be an "out-of-site out-of-mind" type
deal.  I would expect I will have to dust or even run a vacuum cleaner around
the shelf every once in a while.

If you have a canister vac, and hook the hose to the back end, you can blow the
dust off weekly, that should keep it from building up.

HEY!  What about a blower car?  I wonder if you could get a small pump powered off
of the tracks, and direct air with small tubing, so it blows on the track and on
each side.  Self-cleaning ;-)