 Trains / 6820
Re: Self-Centering extended coupler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:53:28 GMT

  Yes, I am concerned that the slack action could result in a high failure
rate, especially if there is not a strong structure at the end of the car to
help keep the coupler attached to the car.
  Thanks for the kudos. The design occurred to me when I realized that what I
was actually trying to do was make a close coupling device that only had to be
close coupled in push mode.  I guess the design could be modified, by adding a
rubber band, to make a close coupling
device. So, thanks to all the engineers of close-coupling devices for the
inspiration.

Chris

Tom Cook wrote:

Very nice design.  No springs either!  I will definitely try it.  The slack
action, as you mentioned, is a concern, but kudos to the design that allows
you to push and still have the coupler pivot.