 Trains / 6844
Re: NMRA 2000 Successful
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 23:10:15 GMT

I will not have any tracks enter the station.  The tracks will come across
outside the station, which will allow me to move the station much easier.
Come to think of it now, I might want to just slide the back out another 32
studs and see how it would look then.  Of course, that would move it from a
depth of 15" to 25", which will make it cumbersome as hell to move -
especially considering that the tracks will be very low and not allow for my
bracing that I put in the base to add some stability.

Although I think I could build the station that way, I am thinking of
leaving it as an outdoor boarding station.  The ability to move it is more
important to me than having the passengers safe from the elements.

I also toyed with the idea of having the trains back into the station with
the tracks perpendicular to the station.  That would allow a lot more trains
to use the station - as many as 10 tracks could be served in that manner!
As it stands, I think I will just leave the configuration as is and struggle
over the implementation.

Mike

PS:  I do have a few ideas on the roof, all of which make me shudder.

James Mathis <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
I sympathize with your "end-of-station" pondering.  I graveled with that • issue
for my mere two story monorail track as the front transitioned to the • side,
then on to the back.

How many parallel tracks will enter your station?
Any thoughts on the roof, yet?  I shudder to even think near that • challenge!
Best of luck.  I'm sure it will look equally impressive in this grand • scale.

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Thank you, James.  Your station was obviously an influence on mine and • when
I add to the interior, I am sure the similarities will be more obvious. • In
fact, I was about 80% done with a replica of your station when I decided
that I was more into trains than monorail.  As trains are much larger, • the
station had to grow.  I am at a loss as to what to do with the ends, but • I
hope to get some inspiration when I can drag my best friend (an • architect)
over for some feedback.

I may have to look at your Bubble Monorail Station for some ideas on • tying
the back to the front, but they really are a little different, which has
caused me some problems.  The middle back has a columnar feel to it, • which
the rest of the station has a feeling of being wrapped at the top, which • are
both curves, but in different axies (sp?).  I need to find how to make • that
transition look correct without calling attention to itself.

For structural integrity, I was unable to add the opening sections on the
back like you had, as this 52.5" long beast must be able to be • transported.
It rests on large gray baseplates covered with a lattice of 2x6 bricks • and
topped with 8x16 bricks to keep the floor from sagging and I have been • VERY
pleased with the results.  Unfortunately, that meant I had little choice • of
the color for the floor in the building.

I should have one more major overhaul on the end parts, finish the • rooves,
redesign the ends of the center section and the decorate the inside. • When
those are done, I will make a nice series of pictures and a web page for • it.
I will have a lot of searching to do to get the last remaining parts, as • my
inventories of parts has suffered a dramatic reduction between this • station
and the first floor of city hall (which still needs one more floor and an
interior).

Anyhow, I can't begin to thank you enough for the inspiration your • station
gave me.

Mike

James Mathis <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
Wonderful pictures.
I was especially attracted to the incredibly large white and glass • train
station!

Wow!
It certainly dwarfs my station of a similar design.
Amazing piece count of pieces that I consider somewhat "rare".

I hope I catch future announcements regarding the next edition as this • building
takes on further form and function.

later,
James Mathis