 Star Wars / 2470
Re: Ep1 peeves (includes spoilers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 04:09:49 GMT

On Sun, 23 May 1999 19:41:56 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Well, we all saw it today, at last.

Critics are right, plot was a bit thin but it's a glorious movie
nonetheless.  [...]

Speaking of criticism, here are my top 10 peeves for the movie -- and don't
get me wrong -- I *loved* it indelibly -- but it couldda been a lot better.

SPOILERS below if you haven't seen it yet!

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

My top 10 peeves:

10.  First 15 minutes of the movie are goofy -- even Jedi ought to show some
    fear or sense of urgency once in a while.  It was like the characters
    had read the script and knew exactly where things were headed.  And
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan just happened to be carrying underwater-breathing
    apparatus in their pockets in case they wound up in the waters of
    Naboo?  Hmm, seems a bit too convenient.  :o|

Hey! No fair taking two peeves in one hit!

The jedi (especially Qui-Gon) were just too cool and collected.  This is
noticeable in other parts of the movie.

Maybe the breathing devices were good for other environments as well?  Even
so, it was a bit too James Bond-ish.

9.  Why does Boss Nass have to shake his head and cast spittle everywhere
    twice?  (once was enough)  :*]

The talking was worse than the shaking.  Who thought the annoying "-ah"
pidgin was a good idea?  It was funny for a line or two, but not for the
entire film.

8.  Obi-Wan defeated Maul a bit too easily after he recovered (although
    it's possible that the expression on Maul's face before Obi-Wan jumped
    up was Maul Force-sensing his own demise...hmm).  (:-|

Yes.

7.  Not enough screen time or dialogue for Darth Maul!  >:^E

Yes.

6.  TC-14 reminded me of Joan Rivers, and that Quadrofoofoo podracer guy
    reminded me of a flat, bendy McDonald's happy meal toy.  =[B^p

What was TC-14?

5.  This business about Anakin's immaculate conception was really
    disappointing.  Hopefully it will end up being a lie, with either
    Palpatine or Maul being Anakin's real father.  :'I

I'm thinking it was a genetic engineering thing.  Maybe the precursor to
the Clone Wars?

4.  I love Samuel L. Jackson, but he under-acted the role of Mace Windu,
    soundeding stilted and uninspiring.  This ended up diminishing Yoda's
    role rather than adding to it.  (:^/

3.  What's up with those cheesy 50's-Japanese-sci-fi-movie-dubbed voices
    on the Trade Federation moguls?  I guess it was kind of funny if it
    was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or a tip-o'-the hat, but it sure
    was distracting.  >X'I

Yep, funny if it had been in moderation.  And what about Watto's cheap
Italian-ish accent?  And all the other 'humorous' topical allusions?  The
pod race announcer was particularly annoying.

2.  It was disappointing whenever the battle droids said retarded things
    like "Roger Roger" and sounded like Cylons from Battlestar Galactica.
    :-/

Again, a mis-guided attempt at humor. "Uh, that does not compute. ... You
are under arrest!"

1.  Jar-Jar and his doofus voice nearly ruin the movie!  The only thing he
    added to the movie was a couple minutes of cuss-bonding for 3P0 & R2.
    JJB is far, far, far, more annoying than any Ewok ever was...  >X^o
    In fact, none of the Gungans in the battle at the end added anything to
    the story...it was Anakin alone who destroyed all of the battle droids
    (albeit indirectly and somewhat fortuitously).  :-I

The Gungan's were a distraction, so the queen and her squad could
infiltrate the home base.

My son's favorite lines/scenes:

"There's always a bigger fish"

"Uh, that does not compute.  ... You are under arrest!"

Steve