 Star Wars / 2456
Re: Ep1 peeves (includes episode 2 spoiler-maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 19:42:28 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, hokiepoke@aol.com (Roger Connor) writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Charles Spindell writes:
My main peeve about Episode I was the way they left behind Anakin's
mother. With the support of the Jedi Council and the fortunes of the
planet, Naboo, I am sure someone could have bartered for the freedom
of Shmi Skywalker at the end of the movie.  Surely, if a kid saves a
world, resources can be appropriated to repay him in some way.

The Shmi situation is supposed to come into play in the next movie and is
supposed to help Annakin along towards the dark side. I think the idea is
that no legitimate part of the republic would have dealings with the Hutt
"mafia" and that makes getting her back for the end of the movie
impossible, but I agree some attempt should have been made to explain
this.

[SPOILERS/SPECULATION]

:
:
:
:
:
:

I had to wonder how badly Shmi even really wanted to be freed.  For some
reason, she told Anakin not to look back, and he literally pushed him on his
way when they finally parted.  And the fact that she wears a wrist bracelet
very similar to Maul's is curious indeed.

And she wasn't visibly shocked when QGJ said that Anakin was freed, nor did
she ask if she was to be freed as well.  (Almost like she kind of knew
already, hmmmmm.)

I don't really see Shmi as an evil character but I really wouldn't be
surprised if she had lied to (or misled, rather) QGJ about Anakin's father.
I wouldn't be surprised if DM or SP turns out to be his father through some
strange twist.  And if DM is his father, wouldn't it be a great emotional
twist for Ep2 or Ep3 when he has to battle OWK, since OWK was the one who
killed DM?  "No Jedi has a midi-chlorian count that high" but maybe the
progeny of a Sith Lord could?

Yoda makes a speech about how fear leads to anger and so on...  And then
says that Anakin's fear is rooted in his concern that he may never see
his mother again.  Why not remove that fear by reuniting the kid with his
mum?  And then, there would be no fear and no anger and no hate and no
suffering.  And no Darth Vader.

Maybe what Yoda saw was a view into Anakin's personality/makeup/character
and future/destiny more than a specific situation...hmm.  Basically, Yoda
was seeing fear of the unknown in Anakin rather than some other type of
fear.  And fear of the unknown means fear of the future consequences/events,
and we know that "always emotion is the future."  There's something deeper
going on here, I think (I hope :-).

All in all, The Phantom Menace was an extraordinary film.  All the
critics who claimed it was boring and pointless must be blind or
something.

Blind and closed-minded, yes!  :)  It really takes more than one viewing to
see all the rich subtleties.

--Todd