 Star Wars / 2465
Re: Ep1 peeves (Ep.1 Spoiler)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 04:28:31 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, knassar@mindspring.com (Karim) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Basically, Yoda
was seeing fear of the unknown in Anakin rather than some other type of
fear.  And fear of the unknown means fear of the future consequences/events,
and we know that "always emotion is the future."  There's something deeper
going on here, I think (I hope :-).

Sorry to nit-pick, Todd, but your quote of Yoda is wrong...

The actual line is:

"Always in motion is the future..."

d'Oh!
Thanks for the correction! -- that makes a lot more sense now.  Shame on me,
and I even have the RotJ script book.  :-(

What really got me was that Lucas seems to have broken continuity himself
rather badly... In TESB, Obi Wan tells Luke, "You must go to the Degobah
System... There you will find Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me."
Later, he tells Yoda, "Was I any different [less headstrong] when you
taught me?"

Hmm, good call.  Very odd.  Hmm...so was OWK ever (in Ep4) supposed to have
been a Jedi Master?  Or was he still only a Jedi Knight?  At the end of TPM,
Yoda said something like, "Confer upon you the level of Jedi Knight the
council does."  Maybe Yoda helps OWK advance from Jedi Knight to Jedi
Master?  In any case, yeah, I guess we can hope for some kind of training or
instruction from Yoda in Ep2 or Ep3.

The only way out of this contradiction is if <supposition> Qui Gon Jinn
trained Obi Wan as a Padawan, but now that Qui Gon is dead, Obi Wan's
further Jedi Knight training must be under someone else (Yoda).

Of course, we could always attribute it to Obi Wan's "certain point of
view" :-) but I think this would be a very lazy way out...

Maybe Ben wanted to hide from Luke the fact that his master had made a
mistake and let himself be slain...  (I guess his fatal mistake was
continuing to fight Maul alone rather than waiting for Kenobi to come
through the force-field and fight Maul two-on-one.)

BTW, I also REALLY HATED the fact that they "explained" the Force in such
a rediculous way... Better a mysterious and mystical energy field... IMO.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons ain't no match for a good blaster at
your side.  :)

--Todd