 Star Wars / 2431
Re: Ep1 peeves (includes spoilers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 04:33:33 GMT

I believe the Gungans played an important role from a 'Force' perspective.  In
order for Anakin to destroy the control ship, the Force must have been with
him.  Or he was incredibly lucky, but given his character, I believe it is
save to say that the Force was with Anakin as he destroyed the control ship.

And to have the Force work for young Anakin, it probably really helped to have
the good life force on the planet aligned in it's battle for freedom.

So, in my opinion, the Gungans play a key role in allowing anakin to destroy
the control ship.

Use the Force Todd, the answer is clear.

Ben

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:
<snip darth maul stuff>
Of course the Gungans added to the story, do you think the few Naboos were
just going to be able to walk into the hanger, steal back a few of their
ships and go destroy the mother-ship?? I think not. There needed to be some
sort of a distraction.

JJB was the only Gungan who helped the Naboo and the Jedi sneak back into
the hangar, etc., and if it's the case that the remaining Gungan army was
supposed to have distracted the TF from monitoring the Naboo palace and
hangars, that's not a believable plotline.

As far as the rest of the Gungans go in the final battle, they played no
real role:  If they'd destroyed all of the battle droids, it wouldn't have
mattered because Anakin blew up the control ship anyway; and if they'd all
lost against the battle droids, it wouldn't have mattered because Anakin
blew up the control ship anyway.

All in all, the Gungans could have been removed from the story entirely and
they never would have been missed.  DS ordered the TF to invade the planet
in order to manipulate the Senate using the Naboo, not the Gungans, and
without the Gungans, I'm sure the heroes still could have found some other
way to get back to the palace & hangars.

--Todd