 Star Wars / 2413
Re: Ep1 peeves (includes spoilers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 21:19:24 GMT

I haven't actually seen the movie, but I have read the book
and well read below....

On 5/23/99, at 2:36 PM, lehman@javanet.com wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Well, we all saw it today, at last.

Critics are right, plot was a bit thin but it's a glorious movie
nonetheless.  [...]

Speaking of criticism, here are my top 10 peeves for the movie -- and don't
get me wrong -- I *loved* it indelibly -- but it couldda been a lot better.

SPOILERS below if you haven't seen it yet!

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

My top 10 peeves:

10.  First 15 minutes of the movie are goofy -- even Jedi ought to show some
    fear or sense of urgency once in a while.  It was like the characters
    had read the script and knew exactly where things were headed.  And
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan just happened to be carrying underwater-breathing
    apparatus in their pockets in case they wound up in the waters of
    Naboo?  Hmm, seems a bit too convenient.  :o|
They're Jedi they don't show anger or fear.
Well isn't the Jedi motto, "Be prepared" oops that's boy scouts :)

9.  Why does Boss Nass have to shake his head and cast spittle everywhere
    twice?  (once was enough)  :*]

8.  Obi-Wan defeated Maul a bit too easily after he recovered (although
    it's possible that the expression on Maul's face before Obi-Wan jumped
    up was Maul Force-sensing his own demise...hmm).  (:-|

Hmm, I think not. If you were Maul and you were looking down at your enemy as
he is abou to die, and then he is suddenly behind you with a lightsaber in his
hand
I don't think you would have been exactly prepared. There is that shock factor.

7.  Not enough screen time or dialogue for Darth Maul!  >:^E

6.  TC-14 reminded me of Joan Rivers, and that Quadrofoofoo podracer guy
    reminded me of a flat, bendy McDonald's happy meal toy.  =[B^p

5.  This business about Anakin's immaculate conception was really
    disappointing.  Hopefully it will end up being a lie, with either
    Palpatine or Maul being Anakin's real father.  :'I

4.  I love Samuel L. Jackson, but he under-acted the role of Mace Windu,
    soundeding stilted and uninspiring.  This ended up diminishing Yoda's
    role rather than adding to it.  (:^/

3.  What's up with those cheesy 50's-Japanese-sci-fi-movie-dubbed voices
    on the Trade Federation moguls?  I guess it was kind of funny if it
    was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or a tip-o'-the hat, but it sure
    was distracting.  >X'I

2.  It was disappointing whenever the battle droids said retarded things
    like "Roger Roger" and sounded like Cylons from Battlestar Galactica.
    :-/

1.  Jar-Jar and his doofus voice nearly ruin the movie!  The only thing he
    added to the movie was a couple minutes of cuss-bonding for 3P0 & R2.
    JJB is far, far, far, more annoying than any Ewok ever was...  >X^o
    In fact, none of the Gungans in the battle at the end added anything to
    the story...it was Anakin alone who destroyed all of the battle droids
    (albeit indirectly and somewhat fortuitously).  :-I

Isn't Star Wars supposed to have some humor in it?? Ewoks weren't anoying.
Of course the Gungans added to the story, do you think the few Naboos were
just going to be able to walk into the hanger, steal back a few of their ships
and
go destroy the mother-ship?? I think not. There needed to be some sort of a
distraction. Oh, and you complain Jar Jar almost ruined the movie, well your'e
stupid little faces just about ruined your message :-P

Still, I think it was an extremely outstanding movie!

What?!?! Talk about contradictory! You found fault with a quarter of the major
stuff, but you still call it outstanding?!?! Maybe you ought to read the book,
it
was the best SW book I've read & it was also the 12th. You know books and
movies never really compare, even if the book's based on the movie :)
Ryan
"Build or build not. There is no try." - Lego Master Yoda

--Todd