 Robotics / RCX / *1655 (-100)
  Make and dependencies

Perhaps I don't understand what needs to be done to get "make depend" to work properly. I'm working on a Win95 box. After exectuting this command for the kernel (in the boot directory) I do not end up with a complete ".depend" file. I get the error (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  0.2.3 bug report

If there are touch sensors pressed at the time the RCX is turned off there will be some semi-random junk left on the LCD display. If you power on the display is fixed, and you can remove/release the sensors, turn the RCX off and get a blank display. (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) My test was a program like this: #include <stdio.h> int main(int argc, char**argv) { int i; for(i=0; i<argc; ++i) printf("<%s>\n", argv[i]); } I built it under both Metrowerks and VC++. Then I called the program with various command lines to (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  firmdl3 on Winnt - no more problems!

Finally I got a firmdl3 version that FULLY works on Winnt, both in slow and fast mode! No more "write: permission denied" or "read: permission denied" problems... No more interrupted downloads at all on my system (NTWS 4 SP6a). Note: I've not tested (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Absolutely! I guess I misunderstood. Cheers, Ben. -- SECURE HOSTING AT THE BUNKER! (URL) grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) I don't deny that this is the way C does it. But nevertheless, when you pass parameters *on the Win command line*, shouldn't you follow the behavior that is de-facto standard (even if "incorrect" from a C view) for *that* OS, irresepective of (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) You are wrong. The precedent, naturally, is C, coz NQC, isn't quite, err, C. Backslash _is_ the escaping character in C, even on Windoze. So, to write \a\b\c as a correct C string (yes, even a VC++ one), you have to write "\\a\\b\\c", and if (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Unfortunately, I don't know "official" rules nor did I find a place where to look them up. Nevertheless, I can only think that this whole escaping stuff is not compliant with normal, expected Win32 behavior. The backslash is the standard (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: InstallShield for legOS

  Re: offtopicy sort of thing

According to that elementary physics, you are converting power into heat as part of this process. Usually, when downgearing an engine, the intention is to have more power at the slower speed (for better climbing, lifting, etc.). This will not be the (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Rechargable battery questions

I use an external battery pack whenever possible/practical. It has 8 (not 6) NiMh cells, providing a total of 9.6 volts. Works fine. Actually, it produces a little more power than ordinary batteries. You need a socket for external power on the RCX (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Rechargable battery questions

(...) I prefer rechargeable alkalines myself (such as Rayovac Renewal). They have the same nominal cell voltage as alkalines, charge quickly, have excellent shelf life, and no memory effect. The downside is that their total charge is somewhat less (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) the exec (...) The answer isn't pretty.... As near as I can tell (sorry, not much of a Windows expert), the command line gets passed in its entirety to the executable, which then is responsible for parsing it into separate arguments. For the (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC default output file

(...) I just added the error check to nqc. I haven't changed the directory yet, though. Using the source directory was strictly from laziness. Assuming there aren't massive objections, I'll switch to using the current directory. Dave Baum (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Rechargable battery questions

Greetings, I am yet another lucky person graced with an RIS this holiday season. I already seem doomed to buying more Lego sets for extra parts. I was quickly thwarted trying to build examples in Jonathan Knudsen's book which I assume is based on (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Mindstorm firmware C compiler for W95 platform ready for download.

Having trouble getting the Hitachi H8 Mindstorm firmware compiler to run on a W95 platform? Francesco Ferrara has a ready to run installation on his website! (URL) . Download, un-rar, add c:\qc\bin to your path and you're all set. You can have your (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) The same problem was already present with the b1 (I had asked about it in this newsgroup but got no reply). Also, I don't think it is related to the parameters. I have now checked the exec call of RcxCC with a debugger and found this is the (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Hmmm - the only reason I can think of for this would be if RcxCC is using one of the deprecated options that were removed in 2.1 (-o, -e, and -s which were replaced by -O, -E, and -S). If Mark can confirm which (if any) of these options are (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: offtopicy sort of thing

(...) It's offtopic in .nqc, but not in lugnet.robotics in general. (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: offtopicy sort of thing

I think that's a really good idea. I tried it, and found out that the motor recieving power spins slower than the motor you spin. This is about 4:3. This could be a really good speed reduction technique that doesn't use gears, or you could power (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC default output file

(...) I don't want the outfile to go where the executable is -- I want it to go to the current working directory. So nqc goes in /usr/local/bin, and I can run it from "binaries" directory on source files that might be located elsewhere (the test.nqc (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC default output file

I don't think it's nonintuitive. I think it makes sense to have the output go to the same directory as the input. That way you can have a directory set up for the executable with only read/execute permissions, and yet have all of your source & (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC default output file

I was checking to see if NQC already does have an option to spit bytecodes to stdout (-L would work, if rcxcomm would understand the format) and I came across something that seems nonintuitive to me. The default output file is "named the same as the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) If this is done, the compiler should have an option to spit out compiled bytecode on stdout, and the rcxcomm program should have a matching option to accept bytecodes on stdin and send them to the rcx. And then there should be a wrapper that (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  More details : "Exploration Mars" and "Ultimate Accessory Set" for the RCX available in march ?

Hi again all, Thanks to Jesper Kjaer, here is posted more information and detailled pictures for these to sets. Please see : (URL) large pictures posted). About Exploration Mars (#9736) : - Unfortunately, this set doesn't seems to contain a cam... - (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  LegOS Firmware Problem

I'm using LegOS 0.2.3 under a Slackware 7 Linux install and everything seemed to work perfectly to begin with. I've recently tried altering the kernel a bit -- everything compiled fine as far as I could tell. When I tried to use firmdl3 to download (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: TpForth Project ?

(...) The basic problem, Mark, is time. I just don't have the time to properly support a compiler for three platforms. I can barely keep up with the demands pbForth makes of my spare time. I write strict ANSI-C all day long, and pbForth is a bit of (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: TpForth Project ?

(...) The basic problem, Mark, is time. I just don't have the time to properly support a compiler for three platforms. I can barely keep up with the demands pbForth makes of my spare time. I write strict ANSI-C all day long, and pbForth is a bit of (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) I think NQC should be strictly a compiler. It seems like it would be more manageable for both developers and users if the RCX communication pieces were in a separate executable. This change should make NQC completely portable (if there is such (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) The beta does not seem to work with RcxCC. All it does is display the parameters for NQC and then exits. No compile. --- DonC donc@cccd.edu (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: PRGM button - am I missing something?

(...) Yep, the option order was the problem on Windows. getopt does indeed happily ignores any options found after the first non-option. Thanks again! -Jeff p.s. And don't worry, I can take any Windows jabs you have to offer - I've heard 'em all. (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  "Exploration Mars" and "Ultimate Accessory Set" for the RCX available in march ?

Hi All, As seen on the 2000 DK catalog, page 58 : (URL) Mars will be available in March... But there is a new set : the "Ultimate Accessory set". Any ideas what it contains ? Seems some light bricks and some sensors, remote control, tachometer ??? (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: InstallShield for legOS

"Peter Tewkesbury" <PJTewkesbury@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Fo9syx.Ew7@lugnet.com... (...) for (...) the (...) a (...) compile (...) Why not use one of the many existing IDEs for this sort of stuff? Most programmers editors (emacs, vi (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: InstallShield for legOS

Hi, I am new to RCX coding, and Legos, but I an a professional Developer for Windows (9x & NT). I was thinking about puting together a small IDE. Off the top my head, it whould include project management (Keep track of files in a program), Syntax (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

(...) Huh. Which brings me to an interesting conceptual correctness problem with RPM -- you don't have the documentation in .tar.gz format, which is how RPM wants it. So do I cheat and make my own tar.gz containing them, or do I cheat the other way (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Yes, this is why I'd like someone else to implement this. I just want to use it. *grin* (...) RCX messages is what I'm interested in. It might be reasonable to have several modes. (...) Good question. I don't think this feature is out of line (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) I remember discussing this briefly, but I don't think we ever came up with a final "spec" for the feature. Here are the issues I forsee: 1) The IR tower times out. NQC should probably do something to keep it alive - and that "something" should (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

(...) Go right ahead. Dave Baum (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) that to (...) I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to copy the beta version of NQC on top of the one RcxCC normally invokes. I suspect Mark will update RcxCC shortly after 2.1 becomes final. Dave (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  VLL Transmit for RCX (was: Micro Scout programming with VLL bar code: HOWTO)

(...) hook up a light sensor, initialize it, and then use vll_send(code) to transmit. The little red LED on the light sensor blinks furiously. The Scout still does this far faster (about 3x) but it probably has some special hardware (not the least (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.microscout, lugnet.robotics.vll)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

(...) If I were writing NQC from scratch, I'd agree. However, several years ago I was writing a preprocessor and bison wasn't available to me, so I hand-coded the parser. When NQC was started, I just reused about 90% of this parser. Of coruse, along (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

Dave, a question: I notice that you don't include much documentation with your nqc packages. I'll probably leave the .tar.gz that way, but do you have any objection to me including the (HTML version of the) Programmer's Guide and User Manual in my (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: TpForth Project ?

(...) Forgive me for flogging a (probably) dead horse, but I still fail to see what the problem here is. There is a freely available ANSI C compiler for most major systems today, including Mac, Windows, and most Unices. Further, I know from a great (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: InstallShield for legOS

(...) Ah, that's the mistake I had made. Looking closer, am I correct in assuming that Cygwin is only required to build the cross compiler? What about the utility program such as firmdll.exe? We can ignore the need to compile the cross-compiler. (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) :-) Leonard Stiles <lstiles@hotpop.com> (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: InstallShield for legOS

"Rossz Vámos-Wentworth" <rossw@jps.net> wrote in message news:387CE039.2906B6...jps.net... (...) I think that you should still reconsider using Cygwin anyway. You can actually build much of the LegOS stuff without ever using the Cygwin shell, so (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  InstallShield for legOS

As mentioned by Markus, I am working on an Windows InstallShield program for legOS. It is my hope to create, with assistance, a complete installation package for legOS and required tools. Running the installer will create a legOS developement (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  NQC 2.1 b2 Linux binaries + rpm (was Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test)

I put up a Linux binary package in tar.gz format + rpm + source in srpm format at: <URL:(URL). I'd appreciate it if folks would look at it and tell me if I've done anything stupid. (Especially in the RPM.) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

(...) Not that I'm complaining or anything :) but is the 'listen' feature I talked about a while ago in the plan for the future? I'll work on making Linux builds today if I have a chance. (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: TpForth Project ?

(...) Mario wrote... (...) Mario, Thanks for following this up. I've heard about tpStudio - it was started at least a year ago. The GUI is neat, but it has one problem which interferes with pbForth - it only runs on Windows. :-( I'm still trying to (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Please provide diffs for legOS releases

Hi Alex, I'll post a cvs rdiff later. Alex Wetmore schrieb: (...) Rossz Vamos-Wentworth is working on an InstallShield version for Windows. (...) There's a watchdog timer module on the RCX, which is currently unused in legOS. Shouldn't bee too (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

Dave Baum schrieb: (...) Yes, definitely so. Many concepts in parser generators are actually OO (bison result types, for example), but they aren't implemented that way. (...) Prof. Goos rather convincingly advocates generation as the do-all and (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  offtopicy sort of thing

Ok, so it's nothing to do with nqc and not much to do with mindstorms, but here's a nice bit of elementary physics I came across while playing with my RIS: Take two 9v dc lego motors like the ones you got with the RCX. Stick something, a wheel or a (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Yippee!

My copy of Dave's book has just arrived! But I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours so I can't play with it. Boo. -- Mark Rendle Est nunc salvus cessare vester computare (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

Will this work with the current RcxCC? Or will there be a new version of that to follow soon? -- Mark Rendle Est nunc salvus cessare vester computare Dave Baum <dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote in message news:dbaum-110100215...act.com... (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: TpForth Project ?

(...) compiling (...) to (...) Following Harald's suggestion yesterday I downloaded the (big) TPForth Developer Studio. My very first impression is it would be a very cool tool to use together with pbForth. In the comments field of the downloading (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

Thank you, David. Your gode is great! I learned a lot from your quick example, though I prefer Java more. I will encapsulate RCX commands in some utility objects and use them in more higher level objects. What I focus now is make a RF/IR adapter to (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

(...) OO works very well for things like a parse tree. I can add a new statement and just add its rules for semantic checking and code generation...all within its own class. I think part of the problem is that compiler design is a very heavily (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Please provide diffs for legOS releases

Today I had a bit of time on the bus so I went through the work of getting legOS working on my system. After I got it up and running I noticed that I was using 0.2.2 and that 0.2.3 was out (I started with 0.2.2 becuase the most recent instructions (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  NQC 2.1 b2 in beta test

Major features for 2.1: Scout support fast firmware download switch statement expressions may be used as conditions NQC_OPTIONS variable The downloads (including a README with more detailed info) are at the usual place... (URL) Baum p.s. The ## (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: PRGM button - am I missing something?

Ben Jackson schrieb: (...) OK, I'll change the docs and examples, then. Too bad, I thought position-independence very nifty indeed. Markus. (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: useful battery program

Ben Jackson schrieb: (...) Saved my life a couple of times, when LNP was locking up the system in an entirely incomprehensible way. (I'd really appreciate "Unreachable code" warnings sometimes... or maybe they scrolled away.) (...) How about this: a (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PRGM button - am I missing something?

(...) From getopt(3) on BSD and other systems: When all options have been processed (i.e., up to the first non-option argument), getopt() returns -1. However, from the Linux manpage: By default, getopt() permutes the contents of argv as it scans, so (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PRGM button - am I missing something?

Ben Jackson schrieb: (...) If getopt is working right, the position of switches shouldn't matter. If they do, it's broken. Markus. (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

I should probably mention again that legOS supports C++, and supports it even better if you add void*builtin_new(size_t n){return malloc(n)}; to the appropriate library, as v0.3.0 will. The rest of this is off-topic. Dave Baum schrieb: (...) (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: PRGM button - am I missing something?

(...) I think you need `dll -p0 foo.lx' and `dll -p1 bar.lx'. That syntax is working fine for me. Right now my battery meter is in slot 0 (fading fast!) and the program I'm debugging is in slot 1. --Ben (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: PRGM button - am I missing something?

Hi Jeff, Jeff Chrisope schrieb: (...) There could be a problem with getopt in the Windows-libc. Try inserting a printf after the loop dealing with options, to show which program slot dll is actually transmitting to. (...) Hey, aren't you with (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: useful battery program

(...) Yes, the current behavior of displaying the return address for the interrupt handler isn't very useful. :-) I was considering making it display battery voltage. It would be neat if some combination of VIEW and other buttons could be used to do (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: useful battery program

Ben Jackson schrieb: (...) Yes, this is a good idea. The system timer handler will probably become a C routine, anyway, as it does so many things now. It might as well check for low battery power and display it. I was thinking about a configuration (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  PRGM button - am I missing something?

I may be missing something horribly simple, but I can't seem to get the PRGM button on the RCX to change the program being executed by legOS. For instance, if I dll foo.lx -p0 dll bar.lx -p1 I can only get bar.lx (or whatever I 'dll' last) to (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  useful battery program

Here's a short program to display the battery voltage. The get_battery_mv() interface might be useful in the kernel itself. Would it be appropriate for the kernel to turn on the low battery indicator as well? The A/D converter that the RCX uses to (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) Great story! When doing tedious diff compares, I usually find it in the last pair of files :-) Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- The train stops at the train station, The bus stops at the bus station, So why am I sitting at a work (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) I built the H8/300 binutils-2.9.1 and gcc-2.95.2 and compiled the legOS kernel and it was locking up when downloading programs. People here said get egcs-1.1.2 -- it works! So I built egcs-1.1.2 and cd'd to legOS/boot, make clean/make and the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) Actually I won't, since I just read memcpy.c and I see it's an __asm__ macro. I don't know if that's a valid __asm__ or not. In this case, if it's causing legOS pain, memcpy.c should just be replaced by memcpy.s with the correct assembly (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) <Snipped disassembly showing exactly what the bug is...> WOW! Good catch Ben! I have recently been looking through some disassembly on a totally unrelated topic and have found a bug in an unnamed commercial compiler. But of course I had a (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) It's actually in the library. I just found it. Here is a disassembly of a correct memcpy.o, as built by egcs-1.1.2: 00000000 <_memcpy>: 0: 0d 13 mov.w r1,r3 2: 09 23 add.w r2,r3 4: 1d 13 cmp.w r1,r3 6: 47 00 beq .0 (8) 8: 6c 1a mov.b @r1+,r2l (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs

(...) I realized this later, and felt it would be even more confusing to clear it up! Mea Culpa again! (...) Great. I've been struggling with getting info for the FAQ together that makes it easy for all platforms to use pbForth. The goofy line-end (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: RcxCC and tabs

"Mark Rendle" <rendle2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Fo5y6u.MuF@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) the (...) others (...) for the (...) with (...) I can do that in vi (and that is what I did last time I played with my RCX about a year ago), but (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs

In response to a message by Ben Jackson, Ralph Hempel wrote: <snip> (...) Actually Ralph, I think that was me. :) Although there are a few things *I've* said about pbforth that I don't like, you've given your reasons for the choices you've made to a (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

Ben Jackson schrieb: (...) Some parts of legOS, especially the interrupt handlers, are less portable than they should be - they use some assembly, or my attribute((rcx_interrupt)) which I haven't verified with 2.95.2. (...) Sounds like a problem (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: legOS is really neat!

Ben Jackson schrieb: (...) I'm still looking for someone to write an R2D2 sound scheme ;-) Markus. (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

Hi Eric, Yes, I believe you could create a sensor object on the VB side and write your code thinking in terms of a sensor object. Here's one way: =-=-=-= BEGIN SAMPLE CODE =-=-=-= Private m_SensorNumber As Integer Private m_SensorType As Integer (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

(...) but (...) More than that. You can (for instance) have a 'command' thread, which looks at a variable, and decides according to the values on this whether to turn left/right or issue some other response, and does this by changeing other values. (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

"TM" == Tobias Möller <tobias.moller@telia.com> writes: TM> If I´ve understood this multi-tasking right, then it means that TM> you can have one program running for the motors of a robot, and TM> another for the sensors, but at the same time. It (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

(...) That wasn't me! David Leeper (has been a computer programmer for 17 years! :^)) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

Hi Dave, On the RCX side, I wouldn't want true objects. I wouldn't want to fill up the RCX variables with vtables and the program memory with the code to use the vtables. But on the PC side of things I'm beginning to think objects can be very (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, David Leeper writes: I´m no computer programmer, but I´ve downloaded NQC but haven´t installed it yet. If I´ve understood this multi-tasking right, then it means that you can have one program running for the motors of a (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) 1.1.2 (...) Ok, I got egcs-1.1.2 (plus patch) and rebuilt legOS.srec. Now it works. I did confirm that the compiler is tripping over something in the libs rather than the kernel (at first I only rebuilt the kernel sources and the problem was (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RcxCC and tabs

alex wetmore <alex@phred.org> wrote in message news:947527538.49673...red.org... (...) Surely if you're a vi-head you could use vi, and set up keyboard macros for the compile and download calls to NQC? Personally I always used to set vi up with the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) unfortunately not. AFAIK, nobody has ever managed to compile a dll-capable legOS with gcc-2.95.x, neither with the rcx-compiler patch nor without. (...) Sure, this is exactly the gcc-2.95.2 symptom many people already experienced. There has (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  legOS is really neat!

I can't build my own legOS kernel, but I can build .lx files and load them with dll without any problem! It's really liberating to have REAL functions and a REAL C implementation to work with. Right now I'm working on a bot which tries to stay on a (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) I am seeing exactly the same thing when I built my own legOS.srec from scratch. The kernel seems to run fine (view, on/off, prgm, run buttons) until dll crashes it. (...) Auugh, I too am using gcc-2.95.2. If I use legOS.srec/.lds from the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

(...) I toyed with a couple of ideas for this, but most of the really useful things can't be done using the standard bytecodes. About the only thing I came up with was a way to wrap the standard API calls up into some classes. However, implementing (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

(...) IMHO, spirit.ocx doesn't provide OO capability - it does serve as an enabler, though. What it provides is the ability to write a VB program that writes an RCX program. This VB program can be as OO as you want it, but the calls to spirit.ocx (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

What I mean is to think the RCX in OO. For example, I can add a sensor object in my programming code when I plug a sensor into my RCX. I can make the sensor object to interface with the RCX object in the OO manner. Is that possible? I learned some (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  GPS for RCX

The standard RCX firmware with its serial protocol could not talk to a GPS, but LegOS could. With LegOS and a GPS we could make robots that could tell where they were. This would be way cool. I want a solar powered toy robot boat with GPS that can (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

(...) You are right, Matthew. It also supports the Mac and Unix, which RCX Code and the Spirit ActiveX control don't. David Leeper (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

(...) Even if you don't know C, NQC is pretty easy to learn. (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

Hi Tobias, If you're a computer programmer, I'd definitly suggest using something other than the RCX Code method of writing programs for the RCX. NQC is a nice environment if you know C. If you know a language that supports ActiveX, you can program (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

Hi Tobias, If you're a computer programmer, I'd definitly suggest using something other than the RCX Code method of writing programs for the RCX. NQC is a nice environment if you know C. If you know a language that supports ActiveX, you can program (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact