 Robotics / RCX / 395
394  |  396
Subject:
Rechargable battery questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:31:01 GMT

Greetings,

I am yet another lucky person graced with an RIS this holiday season. I
already seem doomed to buying more Lego sets for extra parts. I was quickly
thwarted trying to build examples in Jonathan Knudsen's book which I assume
is based on RIS 1.0 - which has more of some crucial parts (like the 12T
gears) than the RIS 1.5. Sigh... :-)

That aside, I'd like to at least economise on battery buying. What
experience do people have with using rechargables? What voltage does the
RCX actually work at internally? Will the RCX work with a 7.2V supply (ie
with 6 NiCad or NiMh AAs) or would I need an external pack that provides
the full 9V be better? I am guessing that NiMh cells might be preferable to
NiCad (if pricier) as they deal with high current applications slightly
better as well as providing higher energy densities.

Thanks for any insights.

--Ian