 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 630
Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:21:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Martin Cornelius writes:
Benjamin Montgomery wrote:
Has anyone experienced the RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll? When I
try to download a .lx file with dll, the brick freezes. It won't respond to
any buttons and I have to take the batteries out and re-load the firmware.

I am seeing exactly the same thing when I built my own legOS.srec from
scratch.  The kernel seems to run fine (view, on/off, prgm, run buttons) until
dll crashes it.

i experienced exactly the same behaviour when i tried to use gcc-2.95.2
as cross-compiler. If that's the compiler you're using: switch to
egcs-1.1.2

Auugh, I too am using gcc-2.95.2.  If I use legOS.srec/.lds from the 0.2.3
distribution I can rebuild the stuff in demo with the gcc-2.95.2 toolchain and
it works fine.  I just can't make a working kernel.

Is there a better explanation for this than 'install egcs-1.1.2'?  egcs 1.1.2
is older than 2.95.2.  Was a regression introduced?

This file contains symbol-address mappings of the kernel that are
used for building dynamic executables. If the legOS.lds used for linking
your application is not exactly the same than what was produced when you
built the kernel you're running, your program will crash legOS.

This is definitely a different symptom.  If you run dll -v you can see that the
RCX hangs immediately after "delete program" and never responds.

--Ben