 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 636
Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:16:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Markus L. Noga writes:
Sounds like a problem with saving and restoring registers in
lnp_logical_handler. Could you verify in the disassembly if all
registers are being saved and restored?

It's actually in the library.  I just found it.  Here is a disassembly of a
correct memcpy.o, as built by egcs-1.1.2:

00000000 <_memcpy>:
   0:   0d 13             mov.w r1,r3
   2:   09 23             add.w r2,r3
   4:   1d 13             cmp.w r1,r3
   6:   47 00             beq   .0 (8)
   8:   6c 1a             mov.b @r1+,r2l
   a:   68 8a             mov.b r2l,@e0
   c:   0b 00             adds  #0x1,er0
   e:   40 00             bra   .0 (10)
  10:   54 70             rts

Here is the bad memcpy.o, from gcc-2.95.2:

00000000 <_memcpy>:
   0:   0d 13             mov.w r1,r3
   2:   09 23             add.w r2,r3
   4:   1d 13             cmp.w r1,r3
   6:   47 00             beq   .0 (8)
   8:   6c 19             mov.b @r1+,r1l
   a:   68 89             mov.b r1l,@e0
   c:   0b 00             adds  #0x1,er0
   e:   40 00             bra   .0 (10)
  10:   54 70             rts

Notice offset 8, which is 'src = *src++', so on the first loop iteration it
clobbers the src pointer.  In the correct version it uses a temporary register
(r2) to hold that.

If you browse a more complete disassembly you can see that the global register
allocator has been changed, but this appears to be the only case where it
breaks.  If you build and entire kernel with gcc-2.95.2, then replace memcpy.o
with one built by egcs-1.1.2 you get a working kernel.

I'll work on the gcc bug report.

--Ben