 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 614
Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:04:57 GMT

Benjamin Montgomery wrote:

Has anyone experienced the RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll? When I
try to download a .lx file with dll, the brick freezes. It won't respond to
any buttons and I have to take the batteries out and re-load the firmware.
Any ideas why this is happening??

i experienced exactly the same behaviour when i tried to use gcc-2.95.2
as cross-compiler. If that's the compiler you're using: switch to
egcs-1.1.2

Another circumstance under which this will happen: You compiled the
binary against another version of legOS than what's inside your RCX.
When the legOS kernel is built, a file named legOS.lds is created in
boot/. This file contains symbol-address mappings of the kernel that are
used for building dynamic executables. If the legOS.lds used for linking
your application is not exactly the same than what was produced when you
built the kernel you're running, your program will crash legOS.
On my machine, all addresses in legOS.lds changed by an offset of 2
after having moved the legOS project to another directory -- strange,
but true. Hence, all applications built in the new location immediately
crashed legOS when dll'ed to the kernel built in the other location.
Thus, if you move the legOS build tree around, rebuild the kernel and
compile dll applications in the demo directory, make sure you first
firmdl3 the newly built kernel.
The other option you have is: don't rebuild legOS, instead use the
legOS.lds that was built when you compiled the running kernel.

hope this helps, Martin