 Robotics / RCX / 390
Re: OO programing in RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 07:25:20 GMT

Thank you, David. Your gode is great! I learned a lot from your quick example,
though I prefer Java more. I will encapsulate RCX commands in some utility
objects and use them in more higher level objects.
What I focus now is make a RF/IR adapter to eliminate the direction limitation
of IR. If I make it, I can build my whole OO environment on my desttop and
directly command the RCX. It's interesting!

Eric OO,2 :)

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, David Leeper writes:
Hi Eric,

Yes, I believe you could create a sensor object on the VB side and write your
code thinking in terms of a sensor object. Here's one way:

<snip>
Now this code is simplified, you'd need to add a calibration routine to handle
different lighting, and so on. But it gets the idea across.

Yet another advantage to the object-oriented method is you can encapsulate
specialized knowledge of you code in the class, freeing the programmer from
having to learn, remember, and use that knowledge. For example, in my
SoftBricks prototype I made four mapping functions RCX subroutines. This was
because they were too large to use as inline code. Now if you're not using
mapping, you can rip those subroutines out because you won't need them. This
saves a significant amount of RCX program memory. But the programmer has too
KNOW they can be ripped out, know what subroutines to rip out, and remember to
put them back in the right place if he later adds mapping. With the OO method,
all that knowledge is in the mapping classes, so if you're not using mapping,
those subroutines are not loaded to the RCX. If you later add mapping, those
subroutines get loaded. It makes the library easier to use, smaller on the RCX
side, and removes a big potential for coding errors.

David Leeper (likes OO)