 Robotics / RCX / 372
Re: OO programing in RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:13:45 GMT

Hi Mathew,

There are no objects on the RCX, in the sense that there are no vtables on the
RCX. I made no changes to spirit.ocx.

But I definitely think of the RCX code in terms of objects now. There are
"brain" objects, "map" objects, "identity" objects, and so on. I'm working on
creating a library of brain objects that can be combined in different
configurations to create new brains. Sort of the way Lego pieces work, which is
why I called the software architecture "SoftBricks".

To write an RCX program, you assemble the desired SoftBricks, write custom
brains if you need them, and download them to the RCX, so the VB side is OO
too.

One of the nice things that came out of this is the OO version is significantly
smaller than the non-OO version. This is true both on the RCX and on the amount
of VB code in your files on the PC side.

David Leeper (should have examples up on the net in a few days)

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Matthew Miller writes:
David Leeper <david.leeper@destiny.com> wrote:
There always Visual Basic. I'm currently building a few ActiveX controls • which
sit on top of Spirit. So far its working nicely and is a big improvement over
the non-class method of VB coding I used in my original prototype.

I'm curious -- are you making it so you can think about your RCX program in
OO terms, or just the VB program that sends opcodes?